How do you put an Android tablet to sleep?

A

AC Question

This is such a basic question I can't believe I can't find the answer myself but, well, I just can't work out how to do it.

I have a tablet I use on occation for tabletie things like browsing the web, playing the odd game and watchind YouTube vidieos. When I turn this tablet off I would like for it to go to sleep and not be connected to WiF, not recieve notifications, not anounce when calenter events are due and so forth. Basicaly I want it to TURN OFF when I'm not using it but appart from pressing and holding the power button to completely shut the device down I can't work out how to do it. I only use this tablet once a week or so and I find the constant conectiveness disconcerting.

So, is there a way to put a tablet into "sleep mode" whenever the screen is locked?

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
(This is the OP here - I just signed in)

Tagpping the power switch turns off the screen (and locks the device) but the device is still active in that it is still conected to the WiFi and still receives notifications etc.

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Looks like "sleep" is the wrong word.

By sleep I essentually meant to suspend all activity (like when you put a laptop "to sleep"). On Android "sleep" seem to just mean turning off the screen which is not what I want. I can work out how to turn off the screen just fine ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There are people on these forums, from old posts I have read, who could probably advise you how to force a device to almost shut down via wakelock detection I think (I have no idea) mainly in an effort to minimise battery use during the night or to cure heavy drain.
I think there are specific apps that help.

I can see your point in a sense, but I'm sure many like myself think shutting it down is not a pfaffle and booting up is quite quick.

I don't know if you have a wifi only or a 3g tablet, but I guess you have tried Flight Mode and Mobile Data off.

Try joining in your device forums and asking there. Very often I can overlook the obvious.

Oh, and just to prevent others saying the same, you know Android works very differently to Windows, right.

Welcome to Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech