Charging port appears to be fried, will wireless QI charging work?

A

AC Question

My Note 3 was recently the victim of some water damage (my own fault). To make matters worse, this happened when it was charging. It appeared that the phone was a total loss but I decided to try the dry rice trick. Let it sit for over 24 hours and tried to turn it back on. At first, the screen would flicker or freeze so I decided to let it sit a little longer. After a while, I tried it again and it worked. Display is completely responsive, no flickering or anything. Have tested making calls, texts, streaming video, etc and everything appears to be working with one exception. I've tried multiple chargers and usb cables but the phone does not register any of them - I assume I fried the charging port. I have an upgrade available in January and really don't want to buy a new phone now. My question is, do you think a wireless QI charger would work or is there something else preventing the phone from charging?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think the wireless charging kit bypasses the charging circuits from the microUSB port, so you could try it. But the problem is that water damage can cause more insidious widespread damage, so it's difficult to say that the damage is only limited to the microUSB port.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae