My wife and I are looking to switch off our parents' plans (AT&T and Verizon) and switch to T-Mobile (or MAYBE Verizon Edge, but we prefer T-Mobile's simplicity). We'd like to buy cheaper phones outright rather than pay over 2 years. I've done a bit of research already, and these are the phones I'm currently considering:

Alcatel OneTouch Idol 3 - $250
    OnePlus One - $350
    Nexus 5 - $350 ($250 Used)

Our criteria are mainly:

PRICE - less than $350, no-contract.
    LONGEVITY - The phone will last physically and through software upgrades over at least 2 years, hopefully longer.
    SIZE - I currently own an S5, and I'm reaching the limits of size preference, so I'd like to stay under 5.5". My wife would probably prefer to stay under 5.1", but most recent phones are larger, so there's some flexibility here.
    FEATURES - We take all our photos on our phones, so a decent camera is important. Next would probably be battery life (last through a day of medium use).

Online reviews give the Idol 3 surprisingly high ratings. The OnePlus One is a favorite among many as the first "Flagship Killer," but I'm worried about its aging specs, and I've never run CyanogenMod before (plus there's the recently announced OxygenOS). The Nexus 5 has been a solid phone for a while, but again, the aging specs worry me.

I'm willing to consider any other phone that match our criteria as well, but so far these are what I've found. Do any of you have experience with these phones and have recommendations for us? Thank you very much!!
    06-08-2015 07:35 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The Nexus 5 is still a very solid performer, with its main drawback being the mediocre battery (maybe 2 hrs of total screen-on time per full charge, 3 at best). The camera is highly underrated--I've taken some spectacular pics with it. It should still get Android M, but that will probably be the last official OTA system upgrade that it'll get. You should still be able to manually update after that, though. Security updates from Google are still supposed to be pushed for an additional year after Android M.
    06-09-2015 07:14 PM