Weird Ringing Frequency When Making Call

A

AC Question

I use the Samsung Galaxy S5 from T-Mobile, and I when I made a call to my friend I noticed that the phone ringing makes a weird frequency noise. Like it would ring, but then the first half of the ringing would be higher pitched, then transition into the regular sound that everyone would hear.

I tested this out by calling my friend's phone twenty times. I switched the calling between speaker and non-speaker. The weirdly-pitched ringing came about four times. At first I thought I busted my speakers because I maxed the volume during speaker call, but that can't be.

Some things to know:

- Both the call connect and end tone were on by default
- Personalize call sound was off by default
- Friend I called has a Samsung Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I use the Samsung Galaxy S5 from T-Mobile, and I when I made a call to my friend I noticed that the phone ringing makes a weird frequency noise. Like it would ring, but then the first half of the ringing would be higher pitched, then transition into the regular sound that everyone would hear.

I tested this out by calling my friend's phone twenty times. I switched the calling between speaker and non-speaker. The weirdly-pitched ringing came about four times. At first I thought I busted my speakers because I maxed the volume during speaker call, but that can't be.

Some things to know:

- Both the call connect and end tone were on by default
- Personalize call sound was off by default
- Friend I called has a Samsung Galaxy S4 from T-Mobile

Welcome to Android Central!

Are you making calls on HD Voice?

reportingsfnoobs

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Hello! I'm the original poster.

I'm not sure if my calls were on HD voice. Prior to me changing the call settings to turn off the call connect tone, nothing was messed with, so what should it be by default? My friend has latest firmware available for the S4 and also has 4G LTE.

I forgot to mention that we were in a parking garage when I did this test. Our signals did drop from LTE, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the phone ringing being higher pitched than normal. The high frequency phone ringing also happened before at my own home, and I have excellent signal at home. I'm on Wi-Fi instead of 4G LTE when at home.

reportingsfnoobs

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I just called my friend while being on Wi-Fi at home. I called twice, and it happened on the second one. The phone ringing went off-tune again. My call connect tone and personalize call sound are turned off. I can't figure what's causing it. It happens when I switch from non-speaker to speaker mode while the ringing is going on. I can't say that's the cause, as it also happens when I call with speaker mode turned off.

Oh, and HD Voice is on because I can see the HD icon on the top left when he answers. Does the HD icon even have anything to do with it? The problem occurs during the phone ringing, not after he answers.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The tone you hear is generated by the carrier to let you know it's getting a ring signal from the other carrier (even if you're calling someone on the same carrier in the same central office - the call is handled the same way). It could be your carrier's local central office that has a strange (or malfunctioning) ringback (that;s what the tone you hear is called, a ringback tone) generator. Bring the phone in and ask them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney