Micro SD Encrypt w/ ES File Manager

Matt Paese

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S4 with Lollipop 5.0.1.
I am trying to password encrypt specific files and folders on my Micro SD Card, to no avail. My phone isn't rooted and I'm not planning on rooting it anytime soon.

I've tried using Folder Locker... but that no longer supports SD locking. I also tried ES File Manager and Lock... but both give weird error messages when the files are on the SD card.

I have no problems encrypting them on the internal SD Storage.... but some of my files are too big to encrypt there first and then copy to the MicroSD.

Here are some pics of the errors

Lock
Screenshot_2015-06-17-14-10-37.jpg

ES File Manager
Screenshot_2015-06-17-14-21-23.jpg
Screenshot_2015-06-16-20-00-28.jpg

Anyone know what is causing this???
I've tried multiple things i found on Google, but none of them worked.

Thanks
I apreciate your help

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps can no longer write wherever they want on th SD card, it's no longer "external storage", it's part of the file system and treated like any other part. If an app doesn't have permissions to a folder, it can't access that folder.

You have to root to change that behavior, since a system file has to be modified. Once the phone is rooted, NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) will make the changes you need.

Matt Paese

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I was seeing that, when I was googling it, but ES File Manager has a process that should give permission to write to the SD Card in Lollipop.

I can actually write to the SD Card after doing that process that gives permissions to that app. I can copy files to it, using ES Managers File Browser, make folders and write files.

I just can't encrypt the files with a password while those files are resident on the SD Card.

Am I missing something here regarding
that?

I don't have enough space to put the files on my device, first, that I want to password protect.

If I can't put a password on specific files or folders on the SD Card, does anybody have any other suggetions on how to accomplish this?

However, like I said earlier, Lollipop did prompt me to give write permissions to ES File Manager, so I don't understand why it isn't working... technically it should.

Posted via the Android Central App

temp902365

Apr 2, 2016
Visit site
Found a workaround for this issue, see method 1 at Kitkat (Android 4.4) and External SD Card | Can Share.

Create on the external SD a folder named /Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop.pro/
(this is for ES FE pro, non-pro users probably need /Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop/).

Any file or folder within this folder will be encrypted by ES explorer without problems.
You might want to move the files/folders to be encrypted up and down to this place, but I just added a folder shortcut to the Favorites pane in the ES Explorer fast access menu.

shivam14sahu

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Found a workaround for this issue, see method 1 at Kitkat (Android 4.4) and External SD Card | Can Share.

Create on the external SD a folder named /Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop.pro/
(this is for ES FE pro, non-pro users probably need /Android/data/com.estrongs.android.pop/).

Any file or folder within this folder will be encrypted by ES explorer without problems.
You might want to move the files/folders to be encrypted up and down to this place, but I just added a folder shortcut to the Favorites pane in the ES Explorer fast access menu.

Thanks bro worked for me on redimi note 3!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci