How to install custom ringtone on a Samsung Galaxy Centura Tracfone?

A

AC Question

Let me start by saying that I'm a Mac person who knows nothing about other operating systems or phones (but please don't hold that against me!). My mother has dementia and will sometimes leave her phone off the hook. One suggestion was to hide a cell phone in her house with a ringtone that I record saying, "Mom, I think your phone is off the hook; can you go hang it up?" — if it seems like her line has been busy for too long, I can call the cell phone and the ringtone will prompt her to hang up her phone. So, I talked with two people at Best Buy, and they assured me that any MP3 can be made into a ringtone, and we decided together on a noncontract phone (Samsung Galaxy Centura Tracfone, TFS738C) since it won't be used for any other purpose. I recorded the message (on my iPhone), saved it as an mp3, emailed it to the Samsung, and downloaded it — it plays just fine on that phone. But I can't figure out how to make it a ringtone. I've looked online, and I keep seeing instructions about making a Ringtones folder within My Files, but I don't see a My Files folder on this phone (or a way to add one). I also don't have access to a PC to try to plug into (sounds like some people can access the SD card that way?). I've seen recommendations for downloading the Zedge app, but it sounds like that doesn't give you a custom ringtone option. So, does anyone know if there a way for me to use my custom ringtone with this phone (or did I just waste money on the phone and minutes!)? Many thanks for any suggestions!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! My Files isn't a folder--it's the standard Samsung file manager app. Look in the App Drawer for My Files, and use it to move the mp3 file to the Ringtones folder, which should already be there in the main directory. If you can't find the My Files app, then install a 3rd party file manager app like X-Plore, Total Commander, or ES File Explorer. Once the mp3 file is in the Ringtones folder, it should become available to select as a ringtone. If you still don't see it, you might have to reboot the phone first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci