Will a new ROM fix my motion sensor and camera issues?

A

AC Question

I have an LG Optimus G that has worked rather well until recently. I've kept rather good care of the phone and am pretty tech-savvy, but my inexperience in the Android world is something I am overcoming now. This is my first smartphone (yes, I was late to the party. :p )

I have always thought about doing a root and flash of a new ROM to get the junkware off and to have higher control over my device. It's out of warranty now, so I'm not worried anymore about breaking things and voiding the warranty. However, there are a few issues with the phone that I hope to fix with a ROM flash. My question is whether or not the following (The first two being the most important) can be fixed with a ROM flash:

1) The motion sensor does not work and as such, screen rotation won't respond to the device turning orientation. I've gone into the system tools and try to do a calibration, but get an error that something's wrong. I haven't fixed this yet as I have not found a solution.

2) This might be related to the motion sensor, but my camera sometimes will not load. There's no error or anything, but it will just hang with a black screen and only the home button will be responsive.

2) Crapware.... enough said.

3) Mobile Hotspoting is disabled by Sprint. I'm pretty certain a new ROM will allow me to use this feature of my phone since the Sprint locks will be off.

4) The camera shutter sound cannot be disabled... which makes taking pictures in quiet settings nearly impossible. I'm certain this will be fixed with a new ROM.

Thanks for your help!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have an LG Optimus G that has worked rather well until recently. I've kept rather good care of the phone and am pretty tech-savvy, but my inexperience in the Android world is something I am overcoming now. This is my first smartphone (yes, I was late to the party. :p )

I have always thought about doing a root and flash of a new ROM to get the junkware off and to have higher control over my device. It's out of warranty now, so I'm not worried anymore about breaking things and voiding the warranty. However, there are a few issues with the phone that I hope to fix with a ROM flash. My question is whether or not the following (The first two being the most important) can be fixed with a ROM flash:

1) The motion sensor does not work and as such, screen rotation won't respond to the device turning orientation. I've gone into the system tools and try to do a calibration, but get an error that something's wrong. I haven't fixed this yet as I have not found a solution.

2) This might be related to the motion sensor, but my camera sometimes will not load. There's no error or anything, but it will just hang with a black screen and only the home button will be responsive.

2) Crapware.... enough said.

3) Mobile Hotspoting is disabled by Sprint. I'm pretty certain a new ROM will allow me to use this feature of my phone since the Sprint locks will be off.

4) The camera shutter sound cannot be disabled... which makes taking pictures in quiet settings nearly impossible. I'm certain this will be fixed with a new ROM.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Android Central!

A custom ROM would enable you to do a good amount of things you want. Not sure it it will fix a sensor issue but it might be worth a try.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2