Why am I unable to download dictionary update information?

A

AC Question

I am using a 1st Gen Moto G phone. 2 weeks back I got a pop up saying I have to connect to a wifi network to download the dictionary update information. But, when I connected to wifi network the download does not work. The download manager is still showing the same notification. Now, I have 2 notifications to download the dictionary update information. The OS in my phone is android 5.0.2. Kindly advice.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Try this. Go to settings - apps - swipe to the "all" tab - scroll down and find Download Manager. Tap on it and select clear cache. Reboot your phone. See if that helps.

Maria Christopher

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi.. I'm using a moto g 1st gen phone..I got this dictionary update information pop up..I tried the step mentioned by Javier i found in the previous chain..[settings-app-All-download Manager-clear cache-reboot system]..but it doesn't seem to be working..is there another way to get this done..please help..!!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi.. I'm using a moto g 1st gen phone..I got this dictionary update information pop up..I tried the step mentioned by Javier i found in the previous chain..[settings-app-All-download Manager-clear cache-reboot system]..but it doesn't seem to be working..is there another way to get this done..please help..!!

Hi Maria, welcome to the forums! Have you tried clearing data for download manager? It can be done using the same process explained for the cache.

Yashodhan Natekar

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site

KasiaSue

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Sorry if this is redundant, but I'm super new. I have a Samsung Galaxy and have had the dictionary update information downloading problem twice. Both times I have followed the advice on this thread and it has successfully stopped the process. But it keeps coming back after 48 hours. Is there a more permanent solution or is it a bug that is waiting to be fixed by Android system update?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
It seems that the dictionary update needs a WiFi connection to be downloaded. If clearing data for download manager didn't work, you could try wiping the cache partition in recovery mode. Just make sure you have a WiFi connection available when you reboot your phone.

There are more people having the same issue. I'll let you know if I find something else.

androgenous58

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
So what's causing download dictionary update information?

So what's causing download dictionary update information? Why do I need it? And, what is it? I don't like to blindly let apps download stuff on my phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: So what's causing download dictionary update information?

So what's causing download dictionary update information? Why do I need it? And, what is it? I don't like to blindly let apps download stuff on my phone.

Hi, welcome to the forums! That's the Google dictionary used by the spell checker and maybe a couple more things.

josiahg52

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
To stop the auto-update:

Go to phone 'Settings'
Go to 'Language and input'
Tap the gear icon next to 'Google voice typing'
Tap 'Offline speech recognition'
Select the AUTO-UPDATE tab.
Select your preferred auto-update behaviour on that tab.

Alternatively, if you have the Google Settings application :

Open the Google Settings' app.
Select 'Search & Now' under the SERVICES header.
Tap 'Voice'
Tap 'Offline speech recognition'
Select the AUTO-UPDATE tab.
Select your preferred auto-update behaviour on that tab.

This worked on my rooted Samsung Galaxy S 4 Active running Android 4.2.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37