While plugged in (using the phone's original charger, plugged into the USB port of my car), and using Google maps for navigation, the phone loses battery quite quickly, which is not ideal for long journeys.

Any idea how I can avoid this happening? Do I need a more powerful cable?

Thanks,
    Abs

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-29-2015 10:40 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Did this not used to happen, or is this the first time you've tried it? Car chargers often don't provide that much current, compared to a wall outlet, so if the phone is using a lot of power to keep the GPS and screen on, its power use might outstrip the charging that is being provided.
    06-29-2015 12:36 PM
    I've been doing this for a year with my iPhone 5 which I had previously (in the same car), and I had no problems; the battery of the iPhone would constantly charge and stay at 100% while plugged in, using Google maps / other navigation software and playing music through Bluetooth! I did notice that battery life on the S6 Edge is generally quite a bit shorter than the iPhone I had before, so it may just be that the car charger doesn't prove enough power to keep it going?
    06-29-2015 02:35 PM
    It's hard to compare the S6 with an iPhone, since the systems are completely different. iPhones are known for generally better battery management.
    06-29-2015 04:26 PM
    The S6 should be able to draw about 1200mA while charging - if the charger is capable of supplying it and if the charger is wired as a wall charger.

Install Galaxy Charging Current Lite and see what the charging current is. If it's around 450-600mA, and the charger is capable of 2 Amps (that's what you should be using), either do this yourself or have someone who knows how do it for you - short the data lines on the charging cable. (Samsung uses that to tell the phone that it's on a wall charger and to draw more charging current.)

Since the phone uses Rapid Charge, not Quick Charge (a totally different idea), Rapid charging the phone won't help.

BTW, in any head-to-head comparison of battery use, the equivalent iPhone will win every time. That's one of the only 2 good points about iPhones. (iMessage is the other.)
    06-29-2015 05:04 PM