I recently moved from Australia to the UK and signed up for a new phone contract with Vodafone. Upon receiving the new sim, I popped it in the phone and as expected, when the data has been activated the "G" symbol came up on the notification bar next to the signal bars. Previously with my old Australian sim card, the "G" was tiny and sat in the corner just above the left hand edge of the mobile signal bars, but for some reason the "G" (or H or E dependent on the connection) is now huge with the new sim and is a couple of mm away from the mobile signal bars.

Its not a major issue, but it is bugging the hell out of me as I have a little bit of OCD! Could it have something to do with the APN settings? Any ideas?
    06-29-2015 11:22 AM
    I believe Android is determining which network you are using (by the APN) and displaying the appropriate symbol. I don';t think you can alter this without rooting your phone and making system modifications.
    06-29-2015 11:26 AM
    It may be particular to Vodafone, I haven't seen one recently. With Three I have a 4G symbol when it's at it's strongest.

I have also tried an EE sim for my backup and main phone where I get their double speed (really LTE-A) and it still only shows 4G on either device.

It's not what you're asking but I have never seen a 4G LTE symbol in the UK.

I would think the apn only gives the option to display the network, I can choose not to display that on my Motorola.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-29-2015 11:49 AM