Android Lollipop wifi connection says "Authentication Error" for only some wifi's

A

AC Question

My phone does not connect to my office wifi from last 2 months but my laptop still does connect.
My phone says "Authentication error" for office wifi but works well with home and other wifi.
However my friend can connect to same office wifi from his phone so i think its not wifi issue

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Does your office have an IT department? Have you asked them about this?

One quick thing to check is to make sure the phone's date and time exactly match that of the office's network. There can sometimes be a slight discrepancy, but that may be all it takes to prevent you from connecting.

arunbansal509

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Moto G2
no IT dont look into mobile devices issue here.
Date and time is perfect.
After entering the same password as in laptop; mobile says saved then "Authentication Problem"
I have googled it and found so many people have reported it.
But how come for other users on same android version its working on same router i'm accessing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, the solutions I'd suggest would involve actually having access to the router's settings. Since your IT isn't particularly helpful, then I'm not sure what else to suggest. If you want to be a bit naughty, you could look for the router nearest to you and reboot it by unplugging its power for 10 seconds, then plugging it back in.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Might be a certificate. Contact your IT and ask if a security cert is required for the wifi. Even if your IT isn't too helpful, they should at least give you that info.
This article might help... How to Add Security Certificates on Android | Chron.com

Edited to add info found in a Nexus thread...

I was able to fix my problem. Work has been busy so I haven't been able to return. I don't know exactly what fixed it, but this is what settings my phone was at prior to the issue, and what fixed it:

my phone had developer options turned on, prior to the update, and remained on (or i turned it on after the update, i cant recall).

1.) I cleared my browser data, all of it - saved passwords and all, just to be sure.
2.) then, i went to the developer options, just to see if anything in there was preventing it. I saw a checkbox for "wireless display notification: show options for wireless display certification." this box was unchecked. i checked it. (my work's wifi requires my phone to accept the certificate. i guess before, this is on by default, but enabling developer options disables it!?!?!?)
3.) manually went to the work wifi login page (mine is 1.1.1.1/login). the browser gave me the same error about an unsecured certificate from before when i had kitkat; i proceeded and was able to log in.

i assume my issue was in the unchecked checkbox in the developer options.... but why the hell would it be default and then magically get unchecked when dev options are turned on!? whatever, problem solved

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, I did try to research this and for sure there are a ton of cases with "authentication error" with android on Google. Most cases are resolved due to wireless encryption type and password. If you haven't solved this yet, you really need to talk to your IT people. There are just too many scenarios and solutions found on the net to try to solve this without having your IT involved. Sorry couldn't be of much help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz