Can I root a 2012 razr maxx hd that has been wiped clean (so no more loli pop)?

A

AC Question

I had 5.0.x until yesterday when my phone would not boot (just gets stuck on the first image.... the red "eye" thing with the electricity flowing around it) after the red Motorola one). I was able to get to the Factory Reset option (using Power and Vol up process). However, once I see the reset process finish, the phone reboots and will still not pass that image. Went to Verizon store and they couldn't do anything except suggest that I buy a new phone.

So, given all of this, and since I am out of warranty anyway, I want to root it and load with a non Factory build. I can get to the Android System Recovery screen and have the options to "apply update from sdcard" and "apply update from ADB".

Back to my question.....since I believe I have wiped out my phone of the 5.0.x, and I believe I am at the original version of Android (an old 4.x.x), can I still root and rebuild my phone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You don't root a phone, you root a ROM, so flash a ROM that there's a root exploit for, then root it.

since I believe I have wiped out my phone of the 5.0.x, and I believe I am at the original version of Android (an old 4.x.x)
No, 5.0.x didn't push 4.x.x aside and sit next to it, it replaced 4.x.x, so there's no ROM in the phone right now. You CAN flash one - go to Motorola Droid RAZR - XDA Forums and see if anyone there can point you to the software tools and ROM image you'll need.

(That's one reason I don't use Verizon - they should have known this, and asked you if you wanted to spend whatever they'd charge for doing it.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12