Using a stock galaxy s5, currently running android 5.0. Using hangouts as my default sms. I get notifications just fine when receiving sms/mms, but nothing when receiving actual hangout messages from another hangout user. If that same person sends me standard sms/mms, I do get notified. Notifications are on for both sms and hangouts. I've tried everything. Any ideas?

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-08-2015 10:36 AM
    Using a stock galaxy s5, currently running android 5.0. Using hangouts as my default sms. I get notifications just fine when receiving sms/mms, but nothing when receiving actual hangout messages from another hangout user. If that same person sends me standard sms/mms, I do get notified. Notifications are on for both sms and hangouts. I've tried everything. Any ideas?

Go into the Hangout settings for that contact and make sure you've enabled notifications. Sometimes. It might have disabled it without knowing or forgetting about it. Let us know if that works or if you have any other questions.
    07-08-2015 11:01 AM
    There's a green check mark listed next to their name under people and options, next to notifications, in the hangouts app. There's a sound picked as well for notifications. Is that where you mean to look, when you say settings for that person?

07-08-2015 12:23 PM
    Go into the Hangout settings for that contact and make sure you've enabled notifications. Sometimes. It might have disabled it without knowing or forgetting about it. Let us know if that works or if you have any other questions.
    There's a green check mark listed next to their name under people and options, next to notifications, in the hangouts app. There's a sound picked as well for notifications. Is that where you mean to look, when you say settings for that person?

07-08-2015 01:23 PM

Yes, under People & Options the notifications box should be checked. Is it? I'm assuming it is based on your post above.

Also, open the Hangouts settings (pull out the sliding menu and choose settings > click on your email > Hangouts messages & invites > notifications (make sure it's checked here too).

Hopefully this helps...let us know.
    07-09-2015 09:26 AM
    Yes, under People & Options the notifications box should be checked. Is it? I'm assuming it is based on your post above.

Also, open the Hangouts settings (pull out the sliding menu and choose settings > click on your email > Hangouts messages & invites > notifications (make sure it's checked here too).

Hopefully this helps...let us know.
    Yes, all those options are checked correctly. Thks for the tips! Yesterday I tried uninstalling the app (or uninstalling the updates as the app is pre-installed), reinstalling/reupdating, then clearing the data and cache. Seems to have solved the problem for now.

07-09-2015 09:49 AM
    Yes, all those options are checked correctly. Thks for the tips! Yesterday I tried uninstalling the app (or uninstalling the updates as the app is pre-installed), reinstalling/reupdating, then clearing the data and cache. Seems to have solved the problem for now.

That's good to hear. Weird how you were having that problem.
    07-09-2015 10:03 AM