The ads popup constantly while using my phone (dozens of times a day). They even popup and play during a phone call! They are not limited to while browsing in Chrome or limited to certain apps. They appear during all types of app and phone usage. I cannot 'x' out or back out of them. I have to wait for them to finish playing. I've downloaded three malware scan apps (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by Malwarebytes, Ad Blocker & Notification by Upfront Applicatons, and Airpush Detector by Dan Bjorge). All report the phone is free of malware. I completely wiped the phone (factory data reset) and re set it up and instantly the ads continued!? I even deleted all apps except core Motorola and AT&T apps. But the ads continued. My phone is a non-rooted first generation Moto X running Android version 4.4.4. The ads are varied including companies such as for Citrix Go-To Meeting, Hotels.com, Game of War, Penzoil, etc.
    Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    07-08-2015 12:24 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do another factory reset, but this time, before you do it, go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck Automatically Restore. After the reset is done and you've gone through the Setup Wizard, go immediately to Google Play Store and stop any app that might be installing automatically. Now see if the problem persists.
    mominutah likes this.
    07-08-2015 03:11 PM
    Thank you! Your instructions worked. It was something in the Automatically Restore that must have re-loaded the problem as I did not do that step when I tried on my own the first time. I've been slowly adding apps one at a time over the last couple days and the phone works again without the interruptions.
    Thanks so much!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-10-2015 09:42 AM