My phone keeps freezing and shuts down. usually when using google services

Rhyghtman

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. I was having my s3 I9300 (stock rom; never rooted before) for like 2 years & with no flaw. Two weeks ago, I noticed that after it gets really battery low, the screen starts flickering weird horizontal lines, but it never freezes and shuts off.

However, 2 days ago, I was downloading something using the stock browser (blue earth icon), soon after, i turned the wifi off only to find out that my downloading was still going (downloading some album from tusfile.com) then in a blink of an eye, the moment I immediately turned it back on, the screens starts showing "flickering movement (just horizontal lines)" then immediately freezed. I was waiting for like 50 minutes, then decided to remove the battery.

After putting it back, then turned it on, "flickering" then freezes, then shuts itself off (i repeated the cycle twice or thrice, but it keeps doing the same sh*t) . After 10 minutes without putting the battery, i put it back in, turned it on. But this time, as soon as it got turned on, i immediately locked the screen by pressing the power button once (i just turned the screen off just to make the screen black)

After 10 minutes, i decided to use it again & everything was fine. The moment i tried the app "screen filter" just to darken the screen up, then the whole sh*t started again. I will never use that app again.

After 10 minutes of removing the battery, switched to recovery mode (in that mode, That green android was seemed lying down, it says "no command", & with a big red exclamation mark, he seemed dead) then I wiped the "cache partition", then factory reseted it, turned it on & everything was okay.
Since my phone was factory reseted, I download some app (Google Keep) and that app wanted me to update "Google Play Service". I was updating it fine, after it reached 87%, the whole sh*t started again but this time, I TOTALLY CANT TURN THE SYSTEM ON AGAIN!, unless i clear the "cache partition", then turned it on again. I repeated the cycle again, then decided to stop rely on Google Play again.

Then whole same thing happened when i was using G mail. Then Google Play. Then Play Service.

Shall I root my phone? Flash it to "CM12.1?

Thank you very much.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The odd behavior and the screen abnormalities make me wonder if something hardware-related is about to fail. Make sure you backup or sync all important data while you can.

You might want to use Kies or Odin to reinstall the firmware.

Rhyghtman

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
l'm trying to do them however, after I downloaded the stock firmware, I noticed that the file extension says ".zip", & I heard that you need ".tar" or ".tar.md5" so that you'll able to flash them in. What do u think?

And one more thing. Do u need to download stock firmware based on ur country? other places says it's fine as long as ur phone is "i9300" and is "unlocked from the carrier". What do u think?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That guide mentions extracting the files from the ZIP using 7-Zip. You should find the MD5 file there.

I've never done this myself, but my understanding is that you need the firmware for the exact model, or else you risk bricking the device (or at least having a device that doesn't work quite right).