Whenever I use the Google Search widget on my home screen, A. After search, it wont allow long press to open tab into Chrome. B. If i go back to my home screen, Google Search something else, it will close the previous open tab, in Chrome, and i can't go back to the previous tab.. Why is this. It never did that before and its rather annoying.
    07-09-2015 08:08 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone?

When you do a search using the Google Search widget, just tap one of the results--don't long press it.

If you want to keep that Chrome tab with the full search result open, then don't tap Back. Instead, tap either Home, or tap the Recent Apps button and switch back to Google Search.
    07-09-2015 09:32 PM
    sorry, I had to make an account on here. I'm on the website enough! My phone is a Droid Turbo. I did what you said an still not keeping the tab open, the widget switches to the one that's open. And I like to long press so I can have multiple tabs but Google search is like nope.
    07-09-2015 10:52 PM
    Sorry, I'm not quite following you. By "Google Search widget," I assume you're talking about the Google Search bar on the homescreen, right? When I do a search using that search bar, nothing happens if I long-press a result. If I tap a result, a new Chrome tab is opened with that URL. Is that what happens for you?

Also, when you're in Chrome, looking at that URL result from your search, what happens when you press Home? It should dump you back to the homescreen. Then do another Google Search, tap a result, and a new tab should open up in Chrome with that URL. The previously opened tab should still be open.

Make sure Chrome isn't set to Merge Tabs and Apps. Open Chrome, tap Menu>Settings>Merge Tabs and Apps, and turn it off.
    07-09-2015 11:09 PM
    Yes, the Google Search bar. And yes, exactly, nothing happens. Before the lollipop update last week, I was able to long press and open a separate tab.

When I press home, it goes to home. But say I wanted to open another search from the Google Search bar, it will override the last search or the last Chrome tab that was open.

And after reading your last paragraph, it's back to the way it was before the update.
    Which is nice, but at the same time, I was diggin' the overview screen.

Thank you!!!

Edit: long press on Google Search doesn't work, but at least the search will still be there when I go to the overview screen.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-10-2015 12:02 AM