Security and Tracking

A

AC Question

In trying to determine how secure my Samsung Galaxy S3 is, I've been trying to do some research and I came across an article that says that "Android System" might be a tracking app. But then again, it might not be. How can I determine if it is legitimate? The phone was given to me so it was in the hands of someone else before me. I could do a factory reset (and I might) but if I could avoid it, I would prefer to do so. Android JB 4.3

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
You should always do a factory reset with a previously owned phone. Any Android updates will remain. You can then set up your own Google and Play Store account.
Android Device Manager is Google's system for tracking, locking or wiping a lost device. There are no security or tracking worries. If anything was installed by the previous owner, and I can't think of anything, they would be wiped with a reset. If you have the previous owners Google accounts, they can track the device.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. If it were me, I would have done the reset right after I got the phone. If you didn't do that, I would highly suggest doing it anyway.

santoperdido

May 20, 2015
Visit site
The phone was provided by a company for which I am doing work. I am not an employee; just a private contractor. That's why I couldn't just arbitrarily reset the phone. Is there any way to go about confirming whether or not there is spyware on the phone with any type of real certainty? Everything I read says that "sometimes" this will work or such and such app "may" detect something. But I can't find a real credible or definitive answer. Thanks