I dropped my phone and the screen is completely blank although it appears undamaged. The phone is connected to my pc but Kies won't work because it wants me to use smart switch. I haven't got this app.

All i want to is secure my contacts from my phone before I go and get it repaired replaced. is there a file I can copy from the phone that will achieve this?
    07-11-2015 08:26 AM
    Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Yes. Smart Switch has been confusing.
    It is very different to 2 years ago.

You don't need the app, the Smart Switch app is only to do a complete backup and restore to a new Samsung device.

Smart Switch for pc is now taking over from Kies, though I am surprised Kies will not work for you.

So download Samsung Smart Switch for pc from your local Samsung site.

Smart Switch will do backups and Restore, just like Kies, also do drivers and Android OS updates, but doesn't have the copy and sync options that Kies had/has. You should still be able to backup Contacts only, though I am not sure now if it backs up All Contacts or just Samsung contacts.
    (I think All, I no longer have a Samsung).

Check with your Google account of course if you have all contacts there, and your Samsung cloud account would restore Samsung contacts if they were synced in Accounts - Samsung.

Device Contacts would only backup to Kies or Smart Switch on a pc.
    07-11-2015 08:58 AM
    In the future . If you aren't already. Sync your contacts with your google account. If you do there is no need to back them up. They will show up when you log in your google account on new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-11-2015 09:25 AM