I dropped and smashed the glass on my Note 2 (sob). I cannot connect it via USB successfully to either my MAC or my Intel laptops to back it up. I am also having problems moving files with Kies Air. I would like to move the files I want to my 64gb SanDisk on the Note 2 and plop that disk into the new Note 4 I hope to buy later today. Is it possible to do that without the Note 4 wanting to format the disk?
    07-15-2015 10:18 AM
    Hello. Welcome to Android Central.

Ouch.

Did you want to move files from a pc to the sd card, if so then obviously you can format it first on the Note 4 and even transfer to the sd card via usb while on the Note 4, or with an sd card reader on the pc.

You should be normally able to access folders on the Note 2 via usb if it doesn't have a screen lock. Do you think the screen is responding to touch, but not displaying. There is a guide on the forums to access it blindly, though it doesn't always work.
    07-15-2015 10:40 AM
    Thank you for replying so quickly. The screen is working...just have to look through a bunch of spider web cracks. I was considering replacing the glass, but I would have to buy a heat gun and find a kit, etc. Since the phone is older, I'm hoping to treat myself to a Note 4 today. Unfortunately, I cannot back up the Note 2 on either my MAC or my PC. That is why I am hoping I can just take the SanDisk that is in my Note 2 with all my data on it and put it into a Note 4 seamlessly. I'm afraid that since the Note 4 is a new device it will want to format the drive.
    07-15-2015 11:16 AM
    Thanks for registering. You don't have to move the sd card directly to the Note 4. Copy the card to a new folder on the pc, let the Note 4 format if it needs to, then drag and drop that folder Content to the card.
    If you are talking about apps you may have moved to the card and app data, those will be lost regardless. You cannot download apps directly to an sd card, so when you move some apps to the sd card because of the way Android is designed (?) only portions of each app are moved to the card and the app creates links to find those chunks on the card. Put that card into another device and those apps are not recognised because they are not complete.
    I learned this from site Ambassador Rukbat who explains this better, I may post a link.

Likewise if your Note 2 was OK but you wanted to change to a bigger card, you would need to move the apps back off the card to internal storage and then move then back to the new card so you wouldn't lose anything.
    *On Edit : you may need a micro sd usb reader/adapter.

IF the screen is functional, sync everything to your Google and Samsung accounts using Sync on and going to Accounts - Google and Samsung, opening and checking relevant sync boxes. Try to remember your Samsung account, it's useful but not essential.

I am not sure if S-Notes transfer or remember if the Note 2 had them, but there is actually an S-Note pc sync program from Samsung, though you have trouble connecting on USB. The Samsung account should save them to the Samsung cloud.

Treat yourself to a new Note 4!
    You have my permission. I just checked with your bank and they agree you should

Enjoy and good luck.
    Any more queries come back.
    Try the Android Central Lounge - Introductions and say hi, and join in the forums.
    Cher Barker likes this.
    07-15-2015 12:10 PM
    LOL Yeah...I keep saying I can afford the Note 4!!! I may be heading out to the store in a few. My last day of vacation too. May soften the blow a little bit when I go back to work tomorrow. I have not felt comfortable syncing with Google or Samsung. I will have to bite the bullet and sync my data that way since I cannot connect to any of my computers with the Note 2. Thank you s much for all of your help. I will stick around this site. For all the years I had the Note 2,I did not use it to its full extent. I will not be that way with the Note 4 Hmmmm...maybe I'll leave now for my 4. Thanks again.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-15-2015 12:20 PM
    Madd54 gave good advice. Remember that Google can save up to 15 Gigs of music & photos for free. If you haven't done so, check Google+/ Drive for pictures & Play music for any of your music. All of your emails & contacts should be saved on remote servers, so if all else fails you may be able to attach some data to emails & and recover on new phone. Your Play Store apps may be auto synced to your new phone; after a reset, all play store apps were synced to my tablet & when my wife bought her tablet, all my apps were synced to hers; same Google account.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-15-2015 12:49 PM
    LOL Yeah...I keep saying I can afford the Note 4!!! I may be heading out to the store in a few. My last day of vacation too. May soften the blow a little bit when I go back to work tomorrow. I have not felt comfortable syncing with Google or Samsung. I will have to bite the bullet and sync my data that way since I cannot connect to any of my computers with the Note 2. Thank you s much for all of your help. I will stick around this site. For all the years I had the Note 2,I did not use it to its full extent. I will not be that way with the Note 4 Hmmmm...maybe I'll leave now for my 4. Thanks again.
    STOP!

Just to say if you're gonna enter an expensive contract for the Note 4, the Note 5 should be out early in September. If you're going to be paying similar money might as well get the latest.
    Details will be announced around August 12th I think.

But get a deal or buy cheaply outright and the Note 4 would be a better option imv. The Note 5 will not have removable battery or an sd card slot, will have a stylised glass back, with the same screen size and density as the Note 4, according to reliable sites though not confirmed.

I just sold a Note 3 but think I will get the Note 4 in August off Amazon in the UK.

(I ran out of battery on a hike - lol)
    Cher Barker likes this.
    07-15-2015 02:08 PM
    I must have t replaceable battery. I use my phone for about 10 hours a day for work and can't always have it plugged in. Unfortunately, with the broken glass, I must replace it now. I could possibly take the chance it will last, but can't afford to take that chance. Besides, now that I convinced myself I was getting a Note 4 today.....I don't think I want to disappoint myself by not getting it today. I was hiking in Maine this past week and it was comforting to know I had two spare fully charged batteries with us.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-15-2015 02:54 PM
    I must have t replaceable battery. I use my phone for about 10 hours a day for work and can't always have it plugged in. Unfortunately, with the broken glass, I must replace it now. I could possibly take the chance it will last, but can't afford to take that chance. Besides, now that I convinced myself I was getting a Note 4 today.....I don't think I want to disappoint myself by not getting it today. I was hiking in Maine this past week and it was comforting to know I had two spare fully charged batteries with us.
    We don't know that 100% but almost 95% that it will have a sealed battery so not really an improvement at all, and many many on the forums are pretty disgusted and staying with the Note 4.

I think the Note 4 is a big improvement on the Note 3 I loved so I would recommend it.
    Cher Barker likes this.
    07-15-2015 03:04 PM
    I hope you got your Note 4, and I hope you didn't format the SD card - it should have just slipped in and been ready to read all the files on it.

And if the Note 2 just has a cracked glass and not a broken screen (which it does, since you can read the screen), find a decent repair shop and get an estimate to replace the digitizer (which is what the glass is). You're wise to not buy a heat gun and try it yourself - I've had techs who are pretty nimble-fingered take 4 or 5 phones before they could get that "just right" moment (and it's not a large window) to remove the glass shard without tearing the screen or overheating it. And with a really cracked screen you have to it many, many times.
    07-23-2015 08:00 PM