Hi All,

Since a couple of months my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (Android Lollipop) keeps popping up Google Play (usually at a game or dating app (Lovoo)) - or the selected browser pops up offering updates for WhatsApp or, again, offering games. (Preferred was Chrome, without preference specified I'm prompted to select a browser on every occurrence, but that prevents a web page from loading).

A bad app would be the obvious suspect, but I don't have crap like mp3downloader' or other suspicious apps on my phone. I only install apps from Google Play (no guarantee, I know) and then only widely known apps with top ratings. Finally, the apps I have are all of the useful variety, like 'boring' e-readers, office, Wikipedia etc. and what everybody else has pre-installed, like YouTube and Gmail. So no games and such, as one would suspect with this game and "Lovoo" pushing pest.

AVG pro and Avast antivirus were both unable to find a related issue. Airpush Detector found a few apps using airpush for adds, but nothing out of the ordinary They are limited to ad push only, with the exception of the official Twitter app, which is using both ad push and icon push.

I'm in the process of removing all apps I don't use frequently, to no avail thus far. (Since I want to detect the culprit I remove one app between "occurrences").

So it's the proverbial riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.

Some suggest even it's a new way for Google to push ads, but whilst this bug/virus/trojan seems to occur quite often (predominantly on newer Samsung phones with Lollipop) it hasn't affected ALL phones with Lollipop. Therefore it's not that plausible... Unless Samsung is the culprit, but then ALL Samsung phones on Lollipop should be affected. That's probably not the case either. (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

Meanwhile I'm going berserk here because of this super annoying popup pest, so please help if you know the answer...

Thanks!

NB: it usually occurs after or during standby. When I pick the phone up again to look at something, the first thing that's activated is "it" attempting to start Play or a browser. It has woken up the phone as well, at least on one occasion when screen protection was OFF. (Screen protector with fingerprint blocks that, but obviously doesn't cure it).
    07-18-2015 06:35 AM
    The same thing started happening to me within the last week or two. I figured it was a bad app, so I removed every app I installed in the last month....same thing keeps happening. But it only happens after the phone has locked and it's always opens up to a game download. I will head to the Sprint Store this weekend to see if they can figure it out. MOST ANNOYING!!!
    08-17-2015 06:21 AM