I have a Motorola Droid Maxx and my father has the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Widgets do not work on either device. I am going out of my mind. My phone is on 4.4.4 and his is 5.0.1.
    Note 4: when I add widgets they do not appear, though the phone says the area is taken. When I restart the phone the widget will appear and work for an hour or two then freeze. I'm talking all clocks, weather, calander, etc. The phone is essentially stock with a hand full of apps he installed. It's about 2 or 3 weeks old.
    Droid Maxx: when I place widgets they appear but are blank. I'll have a little window for my clock but nothing inside it. My weather widgets are filled with question marks. I recently factory restored my phone because of this and other issues such as extreme lag. It's a year and a half old. It's not rooted or anything, I just have a couple apps installed since I restored. For months I used a simple digital clock(Xperia) along with Weather Underground's 1x1 widget. Nothing, even stock widgets, will work. Sometimes if I restart they will work breifly. The time would freeze for hours or days, changing randomly without notice then immediately freezing. Now a time won't even display. I used the clock to access my calander and alarm clock which now has me all mixed up and forgetting to set alarms. I also had a widget that let me toggle rotation, wifi, bluetooth, etc which also stopped working.
    I've been tearing apart Google looking for answers but keep finding how to place or use widgets, like I'm an *****. My boyfriend is well versed in Androids (even sells them) and evendors he can't figure out why our phones won't work. Will he have to root to fix this?
    07-19-2015 07:15 PM
    start by figuring out what is in common between the devices. I'm guessing it's likely an app that's installed on both that may be messing with widgets. Do you have a power saving/battery saver app installed? If you do that would be my first thing to try. disable any "power saving" features built into the phone, and if you have any "battery saver" or "android cleaner" type apps installed, delete those as well - 99.9% of the time they actually cause you more issues then they solve.

The reason I say to look for something in common between the devices is because both you and your father are both experiencing similar things, despite the phones themselves being from different manufacturers. Find common apps that may be causing this behaviour and uninstall them
    07-19-2015 07:56 PM