Installed Lollipop. My text messages now list phone numbers instead of names?

A

AC Question

Very frustrating. Unless I memorize everyone's phone number, it's going to be hard to tell WHO I am text messaging. :/

Tylerzz

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Was prompted by my phone to update to Lollipop, did so, and now I have no phone numbers associated with the contacts in my phone. VERY frustrating.

This seems entirely unacceptable for something like this to happen. I'm going to be pretty disappointed with Android if my numbers are just gone....I wonder if Apple products have similar problems with updates....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This seems entirely unacceptable for something like this to happen. I'm going to be pretty disappointed with Android if my numbers are just gone....I wonder if Apple products have similar problems with updates....

Which phone? Are your contacts associated with your Google account or the local Phone account?

Glitches like this that occur with system updates are most often due to the manufacturer's or carrier's own modifications to the base Android code that Google releases. Some companies are worse than others. It's part of the reason why I've tended to stick with Nexus devices. Although Apple is pretty good with updates, all you have to do is look through various iPhone forums and you'll find many complaints about various issues with updates. This is the case with pretty much any platform.

Tylerzz

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I have a MotoX. I think it's a 1st Generation (purchased in November 2013). This was my first smartphone, so I'm no expert on this stuff. But I went with the MotoX because I liked the idea of the same developer behind Android being the developer of my phone. I liked the thought of the tight integration. I guess this is the last phone I would expect to have problems with an Android system update and losing phone numbers is the last problem I would have expected to have.

Not sure where my contacts were saved. I've always been logged into my google account when using the phone. Whatever the default was on my phone is how the numbers were saved. When I needed to enter a new number, I manually entered it and hit save as new contact. I guess I expected it to back up to my google account by default. Any chance that's what happened?

jeremybros

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I also have this problem
Moto X 1st gen
Recently updated to 5.1 Lollipop

Now my "People" app is gone, with all of its data, in place a "Contacts" app, that insists I have no relevant contact information in either my storage or sdcard. I assumed that when I created sections on the "People" app, that these were saved to my Google account.

Is there any possibility that the info from the old "People" app is still on the phone, and just requires a manual export?

Tylerzz

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, now that you mention it, Jeremeybros, I think that's what happened to me. The "People" app is now a "Contacts" app. The "Contacts" app now seems to use what I have in my gmail account, which didn't have all my phone numbers. I would love it if there was a way to access the "People" app online, or from my phone. I was assuming it was saving to my Google account.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On most phones, when you enter a new contact, it will give you the option to enter it into the Phone Account or your Google account. The option should be at the very top of the contact entry page. It might default to the Phone Account first, but if you select your Google account, it might remember that the next time.

You can tell if all of your contacts were associated with your Google accounts by going to your Google Contacts page on your computer's browser (google.com/contacts). If you see them there, then they're safe. Go back to the Contacts app, tap Menu>Contacts to Display, and make sure it's set to display the correct accounts and the correct contact groups. Also, go to the main System Settings under Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google Account]​ and make sure Contacts is checked on.