I recently got an SIM card for my Nexus 7 (2012 edition).
    I have android 4.4.4 on it (rooted) and i can successfully use an app to send and receive SMS messages.

However i do not know how to make regular (celular) phone calls using my new SIM card?
    I do NOT want to make the call using wi-fi or mobile data (mobile internet).
    I would like to make/receive regular phone calls using the celular network and my SIM card.

I tried using google's Hangouts and Hangouts Dialer - but they do not work without mobile data (mobile internet).
    Which app can do regular SIM (celular) phone calls, and possibly store a log of received/made calls (similar to regular plain phones)?
    07-22-2015 12:35 PM
    Looking around, I haven't found anything that allows you to use the Nexus 7 as an actual phone... I see a thread on the XDA Developers site talking about it, and a few devs spent a great deal of time fussing with the thing, but they were never successful and the thread went silent mid-2014.

So you're pretty much stuck with the VOIP solutions (Hangouts, etc).
    07-22-2015 12:45 PM
    Would the speaker/microphone set up even allow this? I guess it would work as a speakerphone as I have done video chats on my wifi 2013 model.
    07-22-2015 12:57 PM
    Well... it isn't really a problem with the speakers and mic.... those work on video and hangouts calls, so there would be no difference with a phone call. The issue is with the hardware on the Nexus 7 and the software that is loaded (down to the kernel layer).

From some of the posts I saw, guys were up to their elbows in telephony commands and low-level files trying to get the thing to work... it just wasn't happening, so they gave up. I got the impression that if it COULD be done, it would have been by now.
    07-22-2015 01:00 PM