This is ridiculous... I have the latest software update of 5.0.2 and my memory capacity is 56% and my RAM use often exceeds 90% and shuts down apps.

The Internet chat forums seem to have gone quite around this issue early June but I believe i'm not inly speaking for myself when I say this issue is still on going!!

What has android done to fix this issue? Am I missing an update that android have released? What has been everyone else's experience?

Posted via the Android Central App
    07-22-2015 04:12 PM
    I've read that RAM is meant to be used. What apps are being shut down?

from the Elegance
    07-22-2015 04:16 PM
    What is getting shut down? And are you certain they're being shut down by the system due to RAM and not because of overheating your device or simply crashing of their own accord?

RAM usage should be high, normally 75-85% or even a bit higher, but mostly under 90-95%. You might have a poorly coded app causing trouble. Also, 5.0.2 is not the latest Android version though it might be the latest version your device manufacturer has made available for your device. 5.1.1 is the latest and has partially fixed some memory leak problems that has caused trouble for some users with earlier versions. If 5.1.1 becomes available, install it!

Please read this post. It should help you to sort out what's wrong, if anything:

using too much ram?

For more information on how Android handles multitasking, processes, RAM, etc automatically for you read this post by one of the authors of Android:

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...d-way.html?m=1

And you might find this thread useful:

RAM problems
    tadpoles likes this.
    07-22-2015 05:10 PM
    I have the exact same issue on my Galaxy knock-off (Ulefone)!

RAM always more than 90%. Shuts down apps, like browsers after some usage. I know for sure that it's because of full RAM. I have a Galaxy Tab where I kill the background processes and everything goes back to normal, but on my phone no matter if I try to clear up the RAM, it never happens and stays at 90 or more.

I can't multitask, even keyboard starts lagging after a while. It has Touchwiz, but with any other launcher it's sitll the same.

I can't live with this anymore, I wanna throw my phone into the wall, it's so useless! (Ulefone... more like uselessphone...)
    07-23-2015 03:31 PM
    Every time you kill tasks, you're making your problems worse. You're literally making your phone sick. You're giving it Bad Medicine, by teaching it bad habits. The RAM is now running a fever, fighting for its life, confused by improper operation.

To help it get well...

First, stop killing processes! What you're doing ain't working!

Second, uninstall any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc you installed, if any, immediately!

None of that stuff is necessary or desirable. They are counterproductive, waste power, disrupt system processes and degrade performance. IOW, don't micromanage your phone.

Read the links I provided in post #3. There's a lotta excellent information in there. It will go a long way toward giving you an understanding of how Android works and why you are just fighting the system. And how to do some basic troubleshooting to fix the trouble instead of just trying to slap Band-Aids on it and complaining that it's still sick.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-23-2015 04:16 PM
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

I don't think I made it clear enough.
    First off, I have installed a task killer BECAUSE my phone constantly lags and RAM is over 90%. If it were working fone in the first place, I wouldn't have needed it at all.
    Secondly, on my tablet I am very satisfied with my task killer because I have a lot of apps that constantly restart and my tablet is not rooted so I cannot disable auto-startup. When I play some games, other apps restart and the game starts lagging, that's when I use a task killer to kill off the background apps and the lag is gone. It works excellent, there's no problem with that because I kill tasks selectively, only the ones that I don't use at a regular basis. BTW, a lot of apps these days are displaying shady behavior by restarting in the background, even when they don't need to be. Secondly, there are apps that are badly coded so they too restart and a task killer and manager does solve these problems. It's OK if you don't find it useful but I do, I tried without it but my tablet would simply freeze, so I'm now very happy to have what I have.

Now, for my phone, - I had another one which was pure Android, no Samsung crap and it worked like a charm. Then I got this one and it always force closes apps because there's not enough memory. THAT'S WHY I installed the task killer which isn't capable to kill off all of these hidden processes, which is NOT NORMAL. With my previous phone, I was able to clear up the RAM down to 30% usage, although I didn't even need to, it was working fine. With this Galaxy clone phone, however, I am NOT even ABLE to clear anything - it stays at 90%, tell me what kind of junk is there that takes up all the memory?
    07-23-2015 04:37 PM
    Clearly, you did not read, or did not understand, the information in the the links I posted, because you are still not trying to cure the illness, just attempting to treat the symptoms. Your RAM will run a fever until you find a cure. The answer is not to get usage under 30% or killing apps. As long as you continue to do what does not fix anything, nothing will get fixed.

I can't help you any more than I have.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    07-23-2015 06:41 PM
    You make it sound like getting a Samsung clone was not a good idea. Best to stick with the real thing?

from the Elegance
    07-23-2015 10:50 PM
    Ain't nothin' like the Real Thing. Mama said "Don't buy no clones!"

Personally, I would never buy a real Samsung, much less a clone. But that's just me...

07-23-2015 11:04 PM
    Ain't nothin' like the Real Thing. Mama said "Don't buy no clones!"

Personally, I would never buy a real Samsung, much less a clone. But that's just me...

I can only speak to my Note 4. Excellent build, splendid utility, and Teflon-smooth operation. I truly love it. I wish the Note 5 was going to be better but the Note 4 is a tough act to follow.

Sent from Elegance
    07-24-2015 06:50 AM
    Thanks, I will read it.

You make it sound like getting a Samsung clone was not a good idea. Best to stick with the real thing?
    Hell no, it wasn't a good idea. But I'm not sure if the real thing is any better, tho. I read people are having the same problems with the software. The only difference I find is the build - clones are really that much cheaper and unreliable, yet still overpriced.

Mine is a Note 3 clone, BTW.

I didn't buy it, I didn't want it! It just happened so that I bought a much better Galaxy Note knock off without the crappy Samsung system on it, pure Android, and I loved it till one day it died on me (then resurrected after 3 months of coma, but that's another story); so I replaced it but the seller only had a different model, so here I am.

And no, I wouldn't buy any of those cheapos again.. probably.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    07-26-2015 02:37 PM
    Crash.I is truly difficult to get out of the "get more RAM to get more speed" mentality. I fight it even after reading repeated explanations about Android LIKING a "full" RAM (and about how difficult it is to plant a virus/worm; social engineering is another topic - lol). Question: Even CCleaner? I have depended on CCleaner for my Windows machines...but that's Windows, not Android...so, even that app is unneeded/counter-productive???
    09-10-2015 04:57 PM
    Yes, even CCleaner. With very rare exceptions, cache cleaners are unnecessary and counter-productive. I often say that I've used Android from the very beginning, v1.0 and I can count on one hand the times I've needed to mess with cache files with fingers left over.

Not necessary for Windows either. Just empty the trash can now and then.

Read this for more explanation:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4642716

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001
    09-10-2015 08:10 PM
    Crash - thanks again. Funny how it takes so much effort to convince a person of a factual truth.

Thanks for the link. I can see how cleaning things up after a major OS update could be relevant. Helps me understand why and how seldom to resort to that. I shudder thinking about all the time wasted trying to not waste time - lol.

Since you may know, I'd like to ask, have you a link to a list of what IS relevant, and what IS effective for increasing/decreasing speed?

Sometimes it's not obvious. For example (thinking Windows here) the browser plays a much bigger role than some might suspect. If the browser is slowed down with crud, the computer gets blamed. Amazing how many temporary internet files can be collected after a few years - lol. I wonder how many new computer have been sold when a clean-up would have done the trick.

Anyway, I'd love to see your list of Android efficiencies. Uninstalling unused apps seems to be one popular step.

Yours?

Thanks!

DrCarl
    ~older than the internet
    ~online since 1984
    09-10-2015 08:43 PM
    My rules for smooth, fast, trouble-free operation was never very long and has gotten shorter as Android has improvéd and matured.

Now, here's what I do - and more importantly, what I don't do:

I use none of the crapware that has been discussed in this thread.
    I do nothing to cache files.
    I don't use cleaner apps.
    I don't use antivirus.
    I rarely manually close apps.
    I do uninstall apps this way:
    Settings > Apps > Select app > Force stop > Clear cache > Clear data > Uninstall.
    This helps to ensure nothing is left behind.
    I do disable apps I never use.
    I'm careful about what I install.
    I relax and use my phone.

Well, that's about it. To summarize:
    I'm careful.
    I use my phone.
    Oh, and I do backups.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    09-10-2015 10:51 PM
    Crash: That's Golden. Thanks!
    Crashdamage likes this.
    09-11-2015 02:20 PM