How do I get a desktop icon back?

A

AC Question

I have a new HTC 320 Desire running Android 4.4.2.

I seem to have discarded an icon on my "desktop" (or home screen or whatever it's supposed to be called) and would like to get it back.

For a couple of weeks now, it had 13 icons on it. The top icon, which spanned the whole width of the screen, was a Google search icon with a little microphone in it. Below that, in a grid that was 4 icons wide by 3 icons tall, were icons for other apps, like Google, Google Play Store, and some other things I'd installed. Below that, was five icons. From left to right: Phone, Text, an icon that gives you a list of apps, a video player app, and the camera app for the phone.

Then, I'm not sure why, the Google search app moved down one level so that there were 4 icons above it, then the search app was on the second level, then the remaining icons were in their normal places below that. I'm really not sure what I did that caused the search app to leave its normal position so I tried to move it back up to the top level. I pushed it upward with my finger and it disappeared entirely. The second level just remains empty. How do I get the search app back? I'd prefer to have it occupying the first row, but at this point I'd be happy to get it back anywhere on that desktop/home screen.

Basically, I seem to have shot myself in the foot by misusing a gesture. There must be some way to get that app back but I'm darned if I can figure it out. I can see the Google app in my list of apps but I don't know how to get it back on the desktop. In Windows, I would right-click on the icon and choose Pin to Start but I don't see any way to do the same in Android.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to Widgets (in the app drawer) and look for Google Search. Press it and, while pressing it, drag it to the desktop at the top - but watch out for the red trash can. If that appears, move it down a bit before releasing it. Dropping it on the trash can deletes it from the desktop - which is probably what you did.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki