Backing up pictures from digital camera to smartphone?

A

AC Question

Hello

I have a Sony DSC-HX20V digital camera and a Galaxy Nexus smartphone.

While travelling, I'd like to back up pictures 1) from the Sony to the smartphone through USB, and 2) from the smartphone to the Net when I have good wifi connection.

Are there applications that can do this? Do I need a specific USB cable for this?

Thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Can you connect the phone to a computer through its USB port and see the pictures? If so, get an OTG cable (look on Amazon or eBay - they're a couple of dollars if you want a fancy one - the 88 cent ones are just as good). Use the file manager on your phone. Plug the camera into the phone using the OTG cable and the camera will look like an external USB drive or thumb drive. Drag the pictures, or copy and paste them or whatever your favorite copy method is. (Don't move - if a move fails you can lose the picture. Copy. If the copy fails you can copy again. After everything is copied and backed up to the cloud, you can delete from the camera.)

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Most "newer" cameras and phones can talk to each other directly. Normally, you don't need an app for that. As Rukbat suggested, get yourself an OTG cable that will interface with your USB cable and connect the camera to the phone. I can ascertain that my Canon G11 (several years old) can directly connect to my Note 4 phone via OTG/USB cable and import photos. I'm running Kitkat, and I can only import jpegs to my phone. I think Lollipop now supports raw (maybe not on all phones), but Kitkat only supports jpegs as far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21