Today I was out swimming with my pal and we decided to test out my phones water-permeability. That turned out to be a huge mistake. We were taking pictures when my phone shut itself off, and then restarted itself. It entered this cycle of restarting itself where it didn't get past the first screen before it restarted again. This happened a few times before shutting off for good. I tried taking out the battery, putting it back in, and then booting the phone back up, but that just launched the phone back into the restarting cycle. Once more, I took out the battery, put it back in, and attempted to turn on the phone, but nothing happened. Later, I tried to reboot my phone by taking out the battery and plugging it in. Nothing happened. I took out the sim card and switched it with the one from my sisters old gs3. Briefly, the phone turned on and made it a little past the first screen before turning back off again.
    I have no clue what more I should be doing, or could be trying. At the moment, I left my phone in rice, hoping the rice might absorb any moisture. If anyone could provide any advice, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
    07-26-2015 08:14 PM
    You should leave the device in rice for several hours, perhaps a day or two. However, by turning it on when it was wet that could have damaged it further. Let us know how the device works after a day in rice. If it doesn't boot then it needs to be sent to Samsung for repair or replacement.
    07-26-2015 08:21 PM
    Read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!. And NO RICE! Rice has ruined more phones than trucks driving over them.

But by this time, I'd say you have very little chance of even having a phone that can be repaired, The parts and labor would run at least as much as a new phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-2015 01:01 AM
    Had the same thing happen to mine the other day. Had just gotten to the hotel where we were starting our vacation, went in the pool with my boys and the phone got wet, as I have done before and I turned it on to use it and the screen was working, but it wasn't responding. Normally with water on the screen, it does that. Turned it off and then tried again later, after I got out, got a towel and dried the phone off and at this point, the screen would not come on. And that was that. I have taken this phone in water before, salt-water at that(not for long mind you), but it worked fine. The only difference with this instance was that this was a replacement phone from T-Mobile and so probably refurbished....oh, I mean, certified pre-owned. In any case, the back cover was on properly, the charging port cover closed and it was in the case that I always have it in. With the case on, I know that the back cover is closed correctly, because the case won't go on right if the cover is not on correctly. Anyways....i took the back cover off and removed the battery and sure enough, the water detectors were red, both on the phone and the battery.... Now I am pissed, because my stupid water resistent phone is shot, probably..... I took the sim card out, flash card, etc... and took a hair dryer to it, just for a little bit to dry it out and then called T-Mobile. The rep told me to do EXACTLY what most websites will tell you NOT to do, put it in rice. So what do I do, I go get some friggin rice to put it in... Now, I don't know if it has harmed it, but it certainly hasn't helped. The phone still powers on, charges, gives me notifications, but the screen will not turn on. I am assuming something short-circuited. Sooooo, filed a claim with Asurion, but definitely going to try to fight paying any kind of deductible for water damage to a water resistant phone. Not sure I have a leg to stand on, but I not going to give up that easily....
    07-27-2015 11:04 PM
    And I am a little confused Rukbat with your Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! thread, because above you say NO RICE! Yet, in that other thread, you DO talk about putting the phone in rice, albeit after taking a number of other steps, but still, your statement above completely contradicts your advice in that other thread.... SO, is rice good, but only after 3 alcohol baths? Or is rice never good....? Just looking for a clarification.
    Thanks
    07-28-2015 09:22 AM
    If the phone is completely washed out, putting it in rice can't do anything but remove any last bits of moisture in the phone. It's normally not necessary, because alcohol is a much better drying agent than rice, but if there's a tiny spot the alcohol can't get into, but water vapor can, the rice will dry that out. (We're talking fractions of a micron size holes.)

In general, it's not the water that hurts the phone (as long as the battery is out), it's the impurities. Putting the phone in rice concentrates the impurities (think of how hey spread sea water into shallow ponds in some places to produce salt), making them worse every time the humidity gets above a few percent. Washing the impurities out with alcohol is the important part.

(I've never tried it, but you could probably immerse a non-water-resistant phone in pure, triple-distilled, deionized water and use it with no problem. H2O doesn't conduct electricity - the ions and impurities do.)
    manfred33 likes this.
    07-28-2015 03:33 PM
    Thanks for the explanation......the alcohol makes sense of course. As does the connection between the impurities in the water having the bigger effect on electronics. Would it still be worth it to soak the phone in alcohol, or is it a lost cause?
    07-29-2015 08:40 AM
    So is there any chance for an answer to my last post in my future? Thought you might have replied by now Rukbat...
    08-02-2015 10:56 PM
    Well, forget it..... I won't hold my breath any longer.....
    08-08-2015 08:49 AM
    Rukbat like the rest of is a volunteer....none of us can guarantee to be available at any particular time.
    I'll offer my judgment....alcohol is cheap so give it a try, but expect a negative or short-lived result.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Javier P likes this.
    08-08-2015 10:16 AM
    Just reviewing the thread: since the device was in operation when it failed, there is probably a considerable amount of damage done to the phone.
    belodion likes this.
    08-08-2015 10:22 AM