LG Optimus S -- Any way to block or silence unknown calls?

A

AC Question

First off let me state I am NOT a mobile phone person. I hate phones. The only reason I have one is so family members can reach me in case of an emergency. They know this, and they know if they bother me for a non-emergency that I will not be pleased.

So I signed up with Ting, because they're cheap ($6 a month if I don't use the phone at all, which I usually don't, because it's just for emergencies) and I got the LG Optimus S, because it was cheap. I would be perfectly happy except for one thing: The random calls from numbers I don't know. I'm tired of them. I'm tired of having to check my phone every time I get a call, only to realize it's some drool-monkey who can't dial a phone, or a scammer trying random numbers.

Is there *any* way to set the phone so it only rings when someone from my contact list calls me? I tried setting the default ring tone to silent, and my individual contacts to an actual ring, but for some reason this didn't work, even the calls I wanted got silenced. You would think this would be a standard feature in any phone, right? The ability to only hear calls you want to hear? Why would it NOT have such a feature? (Seriously, who designs these things anyway?)

Okay, I'm ranting. Just please, if anybody knows a workaround, preferably one where I don't have to download and dink around with any apps, please share it. Otherwise I may just move into a cave in the Ozarks to get away from the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34