LG G4Phone space already full from purchasing a day ago!

A

AC Question

I literally bought the phone the other day and installed apps. For example, twitter, youtube, twitch, netflix, 360 security etc. I tried to update some apps but it said storage full! I was shocked as I just bought the frigging phone and downloaded apps. I have 8gb of storage (dno if thats a lot or not).

Now i went to storage, and found out that i have 434 mb space left! Thats nothing. The bar shows that a huge section is taken up my "miscellaneous", and within that 4.52gb is system data. What is that!? Is it the silly little apps that came with the phone, like the docs, slides, play newstand, play books etc? Another big section is taken up by apps, with facebook and google play services being the most, also sheets and slides being quite big in size too.

Extra:I have spotify, but out and about if theres no internet I use up lots of it if I listen to music so just wanted to download music and apply it the the phones default "music app". But I am gonig to add over 200 songs, and I will have NO space. Do I delete spotify if thats filling up my phone with the 200+ songs?

HELP! I need to know what to do. What to delete, what to keep, vital aps!? 360 security kinda helps with storage a bit. :((

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to AC.

Please send a screenshot of your stats in Settings, Storage.

Also, are you using a microSD card?

Posted via the Android Central App

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
2015-08-01 13.18.52.png 2015-08-01 13.34.47.png2015-08-01 13.35.14.png
These images show my storage, what app uses the most mb etc.

As for the microSD card...Not sure if I even have one..? I know there for cameras but can be used for phone storage data right? I know I have a microsim thats about it. Hopefully the information I have provided helps! :)

Any further questions, free free to ask,

Thanks,
Costa

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thank you, and welcome as a new member. :)

Not to doubt your word, but are you sure we're talking about the LG G4 here? Because if so, there's something seriously wrong. You don't mean the LG G4c, for example? So far as I know, there are no versions of the G4 offering 8gb of internal storage, whereas that is the storage on the G4c.

However, both phones will take microSD cards, and yes, you can store photos, videos and other stuff on those, thereby expanding your total storage.

If it IS a G4 that you have, I wonder whether it's a clone or fake, or just faulty in some way. If you suspect the latter, return it.

(Edit: posted same moment as Golfdriver97's post above.)

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Yes guys I am SO sorry it is an LG G4c. That is now confirmed. But what about the space issue. Why so full? is 8gb enough? Did I make a mistake in not getting 32gb? What do most people have?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes guys I am SO sorry it is an LG G4c. That is now confirmed. But what about the space issue. Why so full? is 8gb enough? Did I make a mistake in not getting 32gb? What do most people have?

8 GB is really small. The 8 GB is before anything is loaded on to the device, including the OS. That is the reason behind the MISC section being so big. That is where the OS resides. Stock Android (found on Nexus devices) is about 4 GB by itself. So, there is half of the internal, right there.

Back to the main question: Is there anything wrong with the phone? Technically, no.

Did I make a mistake in not getting 32gb?
Really, that's an opinion question. Will you be happier with more storage? Most likely. I guess the best question is, what is your budget? Another good one is, can you still return the device you have now?

What do most people have?
I prefer 32, but I can work with 16. 16 makes me more aware of what I have on my device at all times.

is 8gb enough?
Depending on what you want to do with the device, possibly. If you want to play games, no. 8 is no where near enough. If you just talk, text and surf the web, 8 might be passable.

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Not sure how to do the quote thing like you did in sections so ill just post it like this:

"Really, that's an opinion question. Will you be happier with more storage? Most likely. I guess the best question is, what is your budget? Another good one is, can you still return the device you have now?"

I would be happier with 32 gb. My brother has that on the s6 but paying £37. TBH I didnt want anything past £30. Can I upgrade my phones storage? (obviously it will be 'x' amount extra). As to wether I can return the device..can I? What would happen If i return it?

"Depending on what you want to do with the device, possibly. If you want to play games, no. 8 is no where near enough. If you just talk, text and surf the web, 8 might be passable."

There might be some games here and there I might want to play, but its mostly for the cool apps. However even trying to update apps, I wont be able to as there is no space left.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Depending on where you got the device, an exchange may be possible. I would contact them and ask if it is. If so, you should be able to swap the device for something with a higher capacity.

From my G4
Android Central Ambassador Team Leader

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I got it form carphone warehouse. I will phone then up in the next day or so and ask.

"...you should be able to swap the device for something with a higher capacity"....Thus would I pay more every month? Or can i buy an sd card? How does it work?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
An SD card would only help in storing media, i.e. music, pictures, etc. It has no bearing on how many apps you can have as apps and related data are stored on the internal storage.

If you have a cell phone payment, yes it will go up depending on how much the device is.

From my G4

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Ok thanks for the the help, and to everyone on this thread. As I am new to android and this website, could you refer me to a link that has the best/good apps to download? (when I eventually get more data/space). Also any other info I should know about or help me. Thanks!:)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure how to do the quote thing like you did in sections

To answer this question...on the desktop site, I usually click, hold, and drag the cursor to highlight the sections that I want to quote. If you'd like, you can practice in this particular thread.

Also any other info I should know about or help me.
Probably the biggest thing is Android is not like Windows desktops. Android likes having RAM full and processes cached. It makes for multitasking more power friendly on a mobile device.

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
What kind of apps are you looking for? General ones, games, productivity, etc?

From my G4

hmmm not eally games. Any good apps that everyone should have? For example I have 360 security, but whats the mot popular phone anti-virus protection app. I have the general apps like facebook, twitter, youtube. Is there a most popular entertainment app, games app,

Costa_P

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
To answer this question...on the desktop site, I usually click, hold, and drag the cursor to highlight the sections that I want to quote. If you'd like, you can practice in this particular thread.

Probably the biggest thing is Android is not like Windows desktops. Android likes having RAM full and processes cached. It makes for multitasking more power friendly on a mobile device.

What do you mean not like windows desktop? You mean for the phone having a desktop? (didnt know they have). Or a computer desktop..? What do you mean about the RAF full and processed cashe. Could you explain this to me a bit more? I am kind of noobish haha :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
You can open the AC desktop site on a phone - though it's a tad difficult to navigate on a phone - or on a PC, laptop etc. Tap the 3-dot menu top right and Open In Browser....from there you can request the desktop site with more menu tapping as necessary.

Review these guides for more understanding of the Android system:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ng-started-android-updated-2015-lollipop.html

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...tionary-aka-what-hell-they-talking-about.html

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Any good apps that everyone should have?
That kinds of depends on the user. The ones I use the most would be: Google Now, Keep, PowerAmp, Tapatalk (for the forums), Android Central app (for news), some kind of file exploring app, like Solid Expolorer, 1Weather, Tasker, Chrome to Phone, and Pushbullet.

popular phone anti-virus protection app
Viruses are very hard to get on Android. You probably won't need an anti virus app, but the ones i used to use are AVG and Avast.

not like windows desktop?
Meaning like you said further in your post...a computer desktop. For the most part I am basically saying stay away from RAM cleaners and speed boosting apps, as they are mostly garbage. Android likes having RAM full so that it can resume apps faster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez