Hi, I'm new to Tasker, but I've written a few successful tasks that involved randomization and read/watched quite a few instructionals.

I would really, really like to create an auto-respond function that I can turn on at night. I read several tutorials on night auto-responders and driving auto-responders, and while I thought they made sense, I must be missing something. I even tried downloading the profile on the Tasker wiki, and that didn't work either.

I stripped down everything to the very basics just to see what would happen- still nothing. Here it goes.

Profile: Test

Received text
    Type: Any
    Sender: (my number) (for test purposes)

-> task: Test

Set to On.

Task: Test

1. Send SMS
    Number %SMSRF
    If %SMSRF ~ (my number)

That's it! I notice there is a red bar next to my number in the task, but I can't see why, and yes, it stays there if I enter a different number.

What am I missing?

Thank you.
    08-03-2015 05:08 PM
    I'm just getting into Tasker, so I can't really provide any assistance. However, I will give it a try and see if I can duplicate the action you want and provide assistance based on what I find.
    08-03-2015 05:38 PM
    Thanks! One thing I forgot to note...

In an earlier, more complicated version of this task (when I was actually trying to respond to other people and not just myself), I *was* able to make it work- just not automatically. In other words, if I hit the "play" button every time I got a text, I would send the response I wanted. But that kinda defeats the purpose of auto-respond.

The complicated version had the same profile, set to "on", but "sender" was (my friend).

The task looked like this:

1. Variable Randomized
    Name %randomline min 1 Max 6

2. Read Line
    File Download/Random Responses.txt line %randomline
    to var %randomline

3. Send SMS
    Number (my friend)

So... that worked! BUT... not automatically.
    08-03-2015 08:18 PM
    OK, turns out I needed to root it to get an autoresponse. For anyone who encounters the same problem, I tried to post a link to a Youtube video but I guess I haven't made enough posts on my profile to include links. I found the one by Akson Entertainment helpful.
    08-06-2015 11:35 AM