Can a phone get so hot that it causes the camera glass to shatter?

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. I am trying to determine the cause of my broken camera to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Yesterday, my LG G4 was working fine, taking pictures, I was happy. As I was using my DSLR for most picture taking, my phone was in the house for the most part, as far as I'm aware, still fine.

At some point, I'd plugged it into the laptop via USB to transfer the 1.8gig of photos taken on the DSLR to the internal memory card to flick through, delete or tweak at my leisure. Nothing I haven't really done before.

Once the file transfer was done, it was left for between 5 & 10 minutes before I'd picked it up, realising that it was still quite warm, especially for a phone that's been doing nothing for 10 minutes. So I wondered how hot it must have actually been when files were transferring.

The phone went into my pocket as usual. Nothing else is ever in my pocket with my phone and I'd only been sat on the floor. Pulled the phone out to take a picture and discovered that the glass has shattered with the spider web effect, not happy. The rest of the phone is immaculate, no other dents or scratches, so I was baffled at how it has happened. As far as I knew, I hadn't walked into anything or something stupid.

Was wondering if anyone knew if extreme heat from a high volume file transfer to the internal memory card could have been the cause? As in future, I'll make sure I take the card out first.

Cheers.

Posted via the Android Central App