Google Keyboard Voice input not working

A

AC Question

I have the default keyboard set to Google. The mic icon is there but when I press (long short repeatedly) nothing happens. "Ok Google" voice command works. Just no voice input in any app (messages, email, facebook, memo, anything). Any help is appreciated. ThX.

madx80h

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Was having the same issue as you. Google Search was enabled and working, as was Google Now, etc. Mic icon was showing on keyboard but pressing it did nothing. Looked all over the settjngs trying everything I could think of but nothing seemed to work. Here's what fixed it!

Goto Settings.
Select Lanuage and Input.
Click on Default.
Now, click on the bottom where it says Setup Input Methods.
Enable Google Voice Typing.
Yay?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the default keyboard set to Google. The mic icon is there but when I press (long short repeatedly) nothing happens. "Ok Google" voice command works. Just no voice input in any app (messages, email, facebook, memo, anything). Any help is appreciated. ThX.
Welcome to Android Central!

Go to settings, language and input, default keyboard, set up input methods, make sure Google voice typing is turned on.

025090d3a7bbc37d089ba5824a536398.jpg

This doesn't work on Samsung Galaxy S7

krickit

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
hello I was having the Fisher in was able to overcome it by changing the language sitting under Google Voice typing. well no longer using his own English mean said it can actually work I have no from the joy send it for my ex and help you sleep was a some problems as you can see it. The injured English option is very clearly broken as it does not even give me a chance to speak sometimes before telling me it was terrible what I said

( Hello I was having this issue and was able to overcome it by changing the language setting under Google Voice typing. While no longer using New Zealand English means that it can actually work I am not from the US and my accent causes some problems as you can see above. The NZ English option is very clearly broken as it does not even give me a chance to speak sometimes before telling me there was an error with what I said.)
PS. This is very sad since the Google app recognises my voice very well, despite the southern kiwi slurring.

Update: just needed the voice language packs, doh! It's an option in in the same menu. There is no NZ option so I will have to make myself sound Australian. It's still quite odd that it would start on an undownloaded voice pack and just throw unexplained errors at you. Maybe windows 98, but not android.

Last edited:

Foadyfon EssOz

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Hey,

Was having the same issue as you. Google Search was enabled and working, as was Google Now, etc. Mic icon was showing on keyboard but pressing it did nothing. Looked all over the settjngs trying everything I could think of but nothing seemed to work. Here's what fixed it!

Goto Settings.
Select Lanuage and Input.
Click on Default.
Now, click on the bottom where it says Setup Input Methods.
Enable Google Voice Typing.
Yay?

Worked perfectly, I'm using it now

Last edited:

OneTime2

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. Started with an software update. Google Voice Typing is turned on, but microphone won't work. Some apps just don't do anything, Google search says that the Google servers aren't available.

Samsung Galaxy S7

Ky-Dan

Apr 9, 2017
Visit site
Similar issue- Samsung Galaxy SKY
Installed Google keyboard.
Yes I've done what's suggested above.
Voice to text is on.
When I tap the mic button in any app it beeps and the talk icon blinks for a tiny split second
then disappears.
Repeatedly tapping the mic or holding the mic does not help.
If I change back to the Samsung keyboard voice to text works perfectly but I like the keys on
the google keyboard better!
Help!

Follow-up. Was never able to get Google keyboard to let me use the mic for voice to text.
Installed SwiftKey keyboard and the mic function works fine with it. My only tiny complaint about SwiftKey is the mic is not a separate key. It's the upper case comma key so I have to
press and hold it to turn it on but when on it works flawlessly.
Have a great day!

Last edited:

Spectremak

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
These suggestions didn't work.

Here's what did:

Give the google app permission to use your microphone.

It might be enough to do so by selecting the permissions in the google app from Application manager but if not open the google app, sign in and also set permissions.

Test in Google app and if it works there it should do so elsewhere too.

Clint Chapel

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
These suggestions didn't work.

Here's what did:

Give the google app permission to use your microphone.

It might be enough to do so by selecting the permissions in the google app from Application manager but if not open the google app, sign in and also set permissions.

Test in Google app and if it works there it should do so elsewhere too.

Spectremak, I had mic permissions set, so I denied and re-granted. That worked, but this seems to happen once a week, and I have to reboot the phone (GS7) to get it to work again. This is better than rebooting, but I hope Google updated the Gboard soon and fixes it.

wrazzy

Sep 26, 2017
Visit site
I read this fix...but the Google commands are not in the "default keyboard" for Samsung devices.
Here is where you need to go:
Settings/General Management/Language and Input/Speech-Text to Speech
there you will see it have the options Samsung text-to-speech engine and Google Text-to-speech Engine.
Mine, by default, was set with Samsung.

Debraj8

Dec 20, 2017
Visit site
Down by the keyboard two spots over to the left you might see a smiley face hold it down and it lets you pick the microphone. Somehow when I was picking an icon I accidentally must have dragged it held it down too long and it took the place of my microphone. I hope this helps people. Let me know. This is the case when the microphone is completely missing the possibly if you hold the microphone down you unmute it.

sdeeter19555

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Down by the keyboard two spots over to the left you might see a smiley face hold it down and it lets you pick the microphone. Somehow when I was picking an icon I accidentally must have dragged it held it down too long and it took the place of my microphone. I hope this helps people. Let me know. This is the case when the microphone is completely missing the possibly if you hold the microphone down you unmute it.
That was my issue as well!

ThatUser2018

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
For Facebook chat: If anyone is finding that when you press the microphone button (holding ',') and when you speak it doesnt write anything into the text but still shows to be detecting your speech, you'll need to tap on the text box again as for some reason when the microphone feature opens it removes focus from the text box.

For me this only happens in Facebook chat. Tested on two XZs, newest OS version (8.0.0) has this issue, other phone (7.1.1) does not.

HermanR

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Had the same issue, noticed that after switch of default device language from English UK to English US the voice input became more reliable and stable.
It didn't crash in the middle of inputs.

Give it a try and change the input language to English US if it doesn't help try to change device language to English US.

Emily Graf

Aug 24, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem. Started with an software update. Google Voice Typing is turned on, but microphone won't work. Some apps just don't do anything, Google search says that the Google servers aren't available.

Samsung Galaxy S7

what ended up resolving all of my problems was that the actual Google app was not downloaded to my phone meaning if you type in Google Voice search the first option available in the Play Store is a Google app with the icon of a g in rainbow colors. I noticed when I clicked on it that it asked me if I wanted to enable the app. Meaning that it's usually on the phone but I at some point disabled it and it would not need to be installed it would just need to be enabled. Then I had to update the app. However once I did that I was able to use deep speech to text option as well as other apps that were not allowing me to work for similar error messages that Google voice search not available or Google services not available. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

lilmeme

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
what ended up resolving all of my problems was that the actual Google app was not downloaded to my phone meaning if you type in Google Voice search the first option available in the Play Store is a Google app with the icon of a g in rainbow colors. I noticed when I clicked on it that it asked me if I wanted to enable the app. Meaning that it's usually on the phone but I at some point disabled it and it would not need to be installed it would just need to be enabled. Then I had to update the app. However once I did that I was able to use deep speech to text option as well as other apps that were not allowing me to work for similar error messages that Google voice search not available or Google services not available. I also have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

OH MY GOD! Thank u so very much, i been looking for a solution for hours , days , and nothing. My first issue was no microphone at all. Then i realised no google keyboard which I thought was automatically downloaded into every Android phone then my next issue was how to turn on the microphone nothing was working no buttons were there they even told me how to do some unlock thing and act like I'm a developer to get into my phone to do some things which didn't work then eventually I got the microphone to show up but it would blink, it kept blinking whenever I touched it. it kept saying initializing and then in a blink it would go back to the regular keyboard it would blink anytime i pressed the mic.... then I tried your method and that's when it worked it finished the initializing and it has no more problems. thank you so very much. It was very kind of u to go out ur way to help a stranger. Thanks 😁

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois