Hi, since yesterday lunchtime I've had problems with various apps crashing and giving me the "xxx is not responding would you like to close it" dialog.

I haven't tried every single app, but so far the apps that are crashing include :

Chrome
    Store
    Google photos
    Play books
    GMail
    Google+
    Play Music
    Google App

Apps that run OK include :

Google maps (although it seems to struggle locating me on GPS, which other mapping apps can do without problems)
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Minecraft
    CeeBeebies
    Fuelio
    Email (the native app)
    Amazon Music

The obvious pattern there is that it seems to be Google apps that are misbehaving. The exception is that Google Maps doesn't crash, but it does run very slowly and seems unable to get any data or a GPS location.

Things I've tried or checked so far are :

- safe mode makes no difference
    - there were no app updates or new apps at the time the problems started. The most recent updates were the day before, and the phone worked fine between those and the problems starting yesterday lunchtime
    - it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I'm using network data or wifi
    - I've rolled Android System Webview back to its factory version because I read that it can cause this problem, but it made no difference
    - I've restarted the phone many times, and after each change, but it made no difference

I'm using an Xperia Z2 on Virgin (EE) in the UK, running 5.0.2.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Steve.
    08-14-2015 04:11 AM
    I've also noticed that the battery seems to be draining much quicker than usual. it would normally be in the high 70s at this time of day, but is now at 26%, and I haven't used the phone much today other than rebooting it to try and solve this problem.

Steve.
    08-14-2015 10:17 AM
    Hi Steve. Sorry for the delay and welcome to the forums!

It could be a problem with the Google Play services or even something wrong with your Google account. You could try clearing cache and data for the Play Services and uninstall updates as well. Reboot your phone and see if the problem persists.

Do you have more than one Google account in your phone? You could also try to remove the one is giving you problems and add it back again.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-17-2015 05:59 AM
    Thanks for the response. It looks like the problem was that the phone had run out of internal storage space (don't know why that would affect only Google apps though). I got rid of some old apps I didn't need any more, updated the software and rebooted again, and so far everything seems fine.

Thanks,

Steve.
    Javier P and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-17-2015 06:32 AM
    Glad you managed to fix it. Thanks for the follow up, that will be helpful for other people having a similar issue. See you around the forums.
    08-17-2015 06:38 AM
    The exact same thing started happening to me a couple weeks ago. I can't get any Google apps except maps to even start up before they crash. Not having any trouble with non-Google apps. Very frustrating. I even factory reset my phone. Nothing seems to work. My phone doesn't allow me to uninstall any of my Google apps, just the updates. Everything from YouTube to android pay to gmail to every Google app in between all crash.
    10-05-2015 02:45 PM