Hi all,

Suddenly out of the blue my mobile data started acting like crazy.. shooting upto 1.5GB data overnight and i had to pay huge charges for the extra data i used. when i checked the details it showed that "Android OS" had consumed 0.99 Gb of the data. i just checked online and a lot of people have the same problem and some posts were dated to 2011.. So i tried every opssible way to stop it like..
    1) Turned off the google backup
    2) restrict background data on google play services
    3) from the beginning i didn't use automatically update app option so thats out of the picture.
    4) i even did a factory of reset the phone yesterday and re-did the first 2 points.. just in case.

but i still see android OS has used 25 mb yesterday and as soon as i saw it i turned off the mobile data and i just turned it back on.. within 10 mins another 20mb gone..
    I don't know how to fix it.. So help me out..

Thanks in advance..
    08-15-2015 03:25 AM
    It is too bad there are no real solutions out there for this. I see this a major flaw with android that almost a 1 GB of the 3 GB of cellar data I use goes to android OS. I have wiped my phone several times and spent hours changing backup, sync,and security settings to try and stop android from stealing 20-50 MBs a day. This is the case on several other friends phones that I have checked over the months that are using OS 5+. This is not a bug to small number of phones.

Only occurs on mobile data and andorid data only spikes when other apps are using data. So if i use 20 Mbs of data on twitter in an afternoon; android os goes up by 20 MBs so I end up suing 40 total. It mirrors that usage of other apps. if I dont use any apps during the day my android os data will be less than a 1 mb or so.
    09-08-2015 08:44 PM
    Unistalling all google services solved this problem. I had this problem before, so I erased my phone to factory default. After that I updated all apps and google services and problem started again, every single day google services used 80 Mb for no reason and cant be deactivated.
    10-25-2015 10:46 PM
    Unistalling all google services solved this problem. I had this problem before, so I erased my phone to factory default. After that I updated all apps and google services and problem started again, every single day google services used 80 Mb for no reason and cant be deactivated.
    Welcome to the forums.

Something, perhaps a bad app, may be requesting location reporting, which is done via Google Play Services. Try Safe Mode.
    If no good, try switching off Location History for a while.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-26-2015 12:50 AM