How can I change the default SMS app?

Obi Huy Tran

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone. My phone is on Android 4.2.2. I want to set Google's Messenger as my default SMS app to replace the Android Messaging app. Anyone know how I can do it without rooting my phone? Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SH-06E using Tapatalk

Obi Huy Tran

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hello. Have you downloaded it already.
It's suitable for devices from 4.1.
There should be a setting in Messenger to make it the default messaging app.
I've been using it regularly, just can't make it the default app. When I go to settings, this is all the options I have. Even in the Advance. Is this a bug, should I contact Google? Thanks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439704916253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439704916253.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 13
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439704934539.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439704934539.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Obi Huy Tran

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm stuck at 4.2.2. I've followed the 2 path you suggest and find out none of those options exist, I think either it's some software issue which Docomo is the one to blame (my phone was imported from Japan), or it's just the nature of Jelly Bean. About the "Reset app preferences" option, I'm still a bit hesitant to do it. Thanks for your advice, I'll update if I choose to do the last option

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm stuck at 4.2.2. I've followed the 2 path you suggest and find out none of those options exist, I think either it's some software issue which Docomo is the one to blame (my phone was imported from Japan), or it's just the nature of Jelly Bean. About the "Reset app preferences" option, I'm still a bit hesitant to do it. Thanks for your advice, I'll update if I choose to do the last option

Yes, sorry, you did say 4.2 - those white screens threw me. I had devices on 4.1 and 4.3 so I would be sure you could change sms default as long as there were message apps available.

Like you say it might be specific to Docomo but it's odd.

There is an Android OS and Android Legacy forum where they are still asking questions. You could ask again in General Help and How To (Android Central Community), or ask some experienced ambassadors if you say hi in the Introductions forum.

Obi Huy Tran

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Default App Manager will take you to the right place to set or unset a default app. It's the same place you'd do it manually, but the manager app makes it easier to get there.

Hi, I've tried the app you introduced and it did manage to set Messenger as the default app. But, sadly, it didn't solve the problem I had with the Omni Swipe app. When I want to send a text message to a contact from that stupid app, it still picks the Messaging app, and if I disabled the Messaging, it simply don't respond at all. But I'll keep this app for future use!

I finally decide that this is too minor of a problem in day to day use. So, really appreciate all of your advices here, thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX