I got an android phone and I recently did a factory reset. It wasn't because of that though because I didn't have that problem before I reset everything. Now some app or whatever is allowing Unknown sources to download apps from Google Play Store.. Some apps come trough but I unistall them as soon as I see something I haven't installed. I've never had this problem before.. Also when I boot up the Phone it comes with Unknown Sources checked/allowing it to download apps outside of play store.
    08-16-2015 05:30 AM
    Welcome to AC.

Is the device rooted?

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-16-2015 07:11 AM
    No it's not rooted. It's running KitKat 4.4.2 with a ROM that comes with the phone.
    08-16-2015 07:32 AM
    Pardon me for welcoming you when you are in fact already a member.

I'll pass this on to more knowledgeable friends.

08-16-2015 08:13 AM
    What phone is it?
    belodion likes this.
    08-16-2015 08:13 AM
    It's a Zopo ZP 998 or C2 II something. I think they're the same but in the box it came with it says Zopo ZP 998
    08-16-2015 08:19 AM
    Check what's included in settings - security - device administrator. It sounds like an app is messing with your settings and downloading by itself. Which apps are being downloaded without your consent?
    08-16-2015 08:40 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I would do a reset, and then slowly start adding apps. A few every few days. When you notice this happening again, you know which set of apps it must be and then go from there.
    belodion, Laura Knotek and davidnc like this.
    08-16-2015 08:43 AM
    I just did a factory reset. Yesterday I checked on Device Administrator and 4 apps were there. I did a lot of restarts and allowing 1 at a time to check what apps might have caused it. I had Android Device manager, didn't do anything, AcDisplay did a few times, 360 security, didn't do anything and Delayed lock. I checked the permissions at Google play and when you're about to allow it to control stuff on your Device Administrator page. But none of the apps had the permissions to do anything in the settings unless Android Device manager which never changed Unknown Sources.

I logged into my personal Wi-Fi at home and as soon as I connected to it Unknown Sources got checked without me doing anything.

Not a single app is allowed on Android Administrators. I only have Android Device Manager since I just factory reset the phone
    After that I took a restart and booted up as normal. At first it's unchecked and a few seconds later it's checked again :/ All the stock apps and I haven't even signed into my google account yet.

I also ''logged' in with my Sim card with the pin code. Now I'm gonna try doing it all in airplane mode... Nope didn't make any difference! As soon as I connect to a Wi-Fi network Unknown Sources gets checked.
    08-16-2015 08:57 AM
    Ok. Since you have already reset, i would do so again, and see if the box gets checked without any extra apps on the device when you connect to wifi.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-16-2015 09:01 AM
    I haven't installed any third-partys apps. As soon as I connect to Wi-Fi it allows Unknown Sources.

I am able to uncheck it it gets checked again as soon as I restart the phone. And it's not exactly a thing I want to do every time.
    08-16-2015 09:15 AM
    I haven't installed any third-partys apps. As soon as I connect to Wi-Fi it allows Unknown Sources.

I am able to uncheck it it gets checked again as soon as I restart the phone. And it's not exactly a thing I want to do every time.
    If I were in your situation, I would be screaming at the OEM. This is a security flaw of nearly epic levels. As for what to do for now, I am not sure, since this sounds like a bug in the ROM.
    08-16-2015 09:37 AM
    Alright, I'm gonna report it. But is it THAT bad ? And can it seriously harm my phone? Is is a big deal if I leave it on?
    08-16-2015 09:40 AM
    Despite having no third-party apps, what happens if you use Safe Mode?

Edit...posted same moment as above two posts.

08-16-2015 09:40 AM
    Is it possible to factory reset and boot right into safe mode though? I guess I can factory reset the phone, turn off and try then?
    08-16-2015 09:45 AM
    I just did a factory reset and booted into safe mode. As soon as I boot up and it connects to Wi-Fi it checks Unknown Sources.
    08-16-2015 09:54 AM
    If I were in your situation, I would be screaming at the OEM. This is a security flaw of nearly epic levels. As for what to do for now, I am not sure, since this sounds like a bug in the ROM.
    But like I said. Is it a big deal to leave it on ? Since all my apps are from Google Play store and are all pretty much social media and a few trusted games? And tools?
    08-16-2015 09:55 AM
    The culprit could be something in your rom, as Golfdriver said, or part of the bloatware that came preinstalled. I can think of two different ways to deal with that.

- Do nothing for a little while Wait until those apps start to be installed on their own and check if they are related to anything in your phone (same developer, part of a security app, carrier, phone brand, etc).

- Disable as much preinstalled apps as you can, starting with antivirus and carrier bloatware. Every time you disable anything check if the unknown sources stays off after you switch it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-16-2015 01:07 PM
    The culprit could be something in your rom, as Golfdriver said, or part of the bloatware that came preinstalled. I can think of two different ways to deal with that.

- Do nothing for a little while Wait until those apps start to be installed on their own and check if they are related to anything in your phone (same developer, part of a security app, carrier, phone brand, etc).

- Disable as much preinstalled apps as you can, starting with antivirus and carrier bloatware. Every time you disable anything check if the unknown sources stays off after you switch it.
    I could try! But I also started wondering if it was like that and it's just a temporary thing.

Another thing I tried was reset the phone, turn off, boot into safe mode and uninstall the bloatware or preinstalled apps. It didn't make any difference. So I think it is the rom cause the apps that comes with it is : Twitter, skype, YouTube, a darts game, compass, Adobe Flash Player, Documents on the go,

Also I downloaded 360 Security and it spotted an app or something called Caivs which it said was a Trojan virus thing built in the rom. I disabled it but I don't think it's that. I knew about that app or program or whatever back when I didn't have this problem with Unknown Sources.
    08-16-2015 01:22 PM
    Just a thought. Which method are you using to factory reset your phone? From the settings or from recovery after the phone was powered off? It's better doing that from recovery mode.
    08-16-2015 01:31 PM
    Im doing it from the settings. I can't figure out how to boot it into that mode .. (Idk what it's called) I got a Volume down, up, power on and camera button
    08-16-2015 01:48 PM
    I made a little search and it seems that for your phone you need root access to boot into recovery mode. No need to complicate things even more. Forget my last post
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-16-2015 02:00 PM
    But like I said. Is it a big deal to leave it on ?
    Yes, and the reason being is that it can allow an app or downloaded file to install something else in the background with little knowledge to you.
    08-17-2015 09:05 AM
    Yes, and the reason being is that it can allow an app or downloaded file to install something else in the background with little knowledge to you.
    Hey, long time since I posted this. Actually this problem has been solved some weird way.

Now it doesn't do it anymore. No idea why but it doesn't check it anymore (Even if I turn Wi-Fi on anymore.
    11-11-2015 02:09 PM
    Hey, long time since I posted this. Actually this problem has been solved some weird way.

Now it doesn't do it anymore. No idea why but it doesn't check it anymore (Even if I turn Wi-Fi on anymore.
    Even more strange. But this is one of those times when one doesn't ask questions....lol
    11-11-2015 10:48 PM