I've tried this on several models of Samsung phone. Whenever the phone rings, it shows you a screen where you have 3 options - answer the call, reject the call, or reject it with a canned message. While this screen is up (which is while the phone is ringing), you cannot do anything else with the device. you can't access any apps, get to the home screen, or unlock the device if it's locked.

The problem with this is that sometimes I'd like to answer the call, but there's I need to do before I answer. For example, if I'm watching Netflix, and casting to my Chromecast, once the phone rings I can't get back to the Netflix app to pause whatever I'm watching. So I can only answer the call and then say "Hang on..." and go and pause it, or reject the call, pause Netflix, and then call the person back. (I guess I could also just answer and let Netflix play, but that's obviously not good either.) This would be true of any kind of casting, really - music, videos.

I've found a few options that let me get back into an app if the phone is unlocked - task switchers or multitasking apps, basically - but I don't really love the idea of having to have another app that runs all the time just to have it ready in the event that I get a call. Also, the phone will normally be locked if I'm casting anything longer than a few seconds, and once the phone rings and the call screen is up, I can't unlock the screen to get to a task switcher anyway - if there's apps available that will work while the phone is locked, I haven't found any (and I'm not sure I'd want one running all the time, since I wouldn't know how to prevent it from opening apps in my pocket).

I can't imagine that no one else has ever run into this issue, but I can't find any suggestions anywhere online for getting around it. I'm thinking that's my inability to search for the right thing, though, rather than that no one has a way to do it? Either that or it's maybe so obvious that no one ever thought anyone would need help with it.

Whatever the reason, if anyone knows how to get around this, it would be much appreciated.
    08-17-2015 03:20 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Interesting--so if you press the Home button of the Back button, nothing happens? I haven't paid attention to this situation on my phones, but I would've thought that those buttons would get you to the homescreen, where the incoming call screen would be replaced by a banner notification.
    08-17-2015 06:47 PM
    Sadly no - while that "incoming call" screen is up, both the home and back buttons are locked out and do nothing. The power button will mute the ringer/vibration, and turn off the screen (basically "ignore" the call without rejecting it) but it doesn't get rid of that screen - if you press power again to turn the screen back on, the call screen is still up until the called hangs up or voice-mail answers.
    08-17-2015 09:16 PM
    Just to make sure--the Recent Apps button also does nothing?
    08-17-2015 09:40 PM
    On my device, recent apps is a long-press on home, so no response there either.
    08-18-2015 12:23 PM
    Hmm. Next time I get a phone call on my Zenfone 2, I'll see if the same thing happens to me. Not sure yet if it's a universal Android issue, or just with Samsung.
    08-18-2015 02:51 PM
    I have the same problem with my Xperia Z2 now that I have Marshmallow. With Android 5, the phone call came up in a separate window at the top of the screen. In Android 6, the whole screen is taken by the phone application when called. If I press the square button, which normally shows all my apps and allows me to switch between them, the apps very briefly appear as usual, but then the call app screen comes back instantly, before I can switch. I can find no way to move off the call app screen, other than to wait - it is less functional than in Android 5 and annoying. I had hoped there would be some settings to do with notifications perhaps - but I have searched the phone and found nothing.
    It would be great to hear from anyone with any thoughts at all on this please.
    Regards,
    Julian
    05-19-2016 12:28 PM