I'm new to Android (Samsung Galaxy S5), but I'm a C++ programmer of 25 years, so am reasonably technically capable.

I have spent days seeking a calendar app that allows me to easily specify a simple reminder - "remind me to think about this on this day at this time" - that's it. This is 90% of what I use a calendar for. I don't want each such reminder to have a duration at all - it's pointless, distracting - but I do want to create recurring reminders.

I have failed to find an app which makes this easy - they mostly insist that everything is an "event" with a duration, typically 1 hour long. Practically all calendar app discussions seem to revel in features and complexity when I'm looking for simplicity.

I eventually came across the Android developer API Guides for the Calendar Provider which suggests that if I want to have my reminder recur (e.g. put the recycling bin out for collection every 2nd tuesday) then I must specify a duration. Really?!?!? Why? Please tell me there are apps that get around this and hide all this unnecessary detail.
    08-18-2015 04:18 AM
    Sounds like you want a "to-do" app rather than a calendar app. An event on the calendar wants a duration so the time can be blocked out so you don't try to schedule anything else during that event. Apple has a "reminders" app that allows you to just get reminded of events, I think this is the concept you're looking for.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-18-2015 08:42 AM
    I don't know of any calendar apps that allow you to specify an event without a duration. As Hallux said I don't think you're really looking for a Calendar app, you're looking for a to-do app.

Take a look at Wunderlist, Any.do and Todoist. They're three of the most popular todo apps on Android and all of them can do what you're looking for.
    08-18-2015 11:09 AM