Is buying a used M8 my best option?

A

AC Question

Hello Android Central!
First of all I'm a owner of a HTC One Mini (M4) with a broken power button, cracked screen and nearly broken USB port since it was released in August, 2013. Not to mention it lags a lot and the rear camera doesn't open for some reason.
Since I'm still a student I'm looking for a good, enjoyable phone to use to last me another 2 years to buy with the money i earned this summer.
Problem's here I'm on a budget and can't afford a flagship brand new, so I''ll have to buy it used and buying it used has it's risks.
A guy in my neighborhood sells his M8 for 225 Euro, so I''ll be testing the whole thing before buying, what should i check besides:

the Wifi
Speakers
Bluetooth
Camera
Mobile data(if working properly)
Earphones
NFC
Charger
Buttons(work properly)
Vibration

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There are a lot of good budget-to-midrange options available now that cost around $200 (or 200 euro) brand new. Look at the Moto G or the ASUS Zenfone 2. Those will probably be just as good as or better than an older M8, and also less hassle.

RadoslavNikolushev

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
After all I think I will wait for my One Mini to completely die, then I will look to buy a M8 or Moto G ( i don't like their current prices)
I was thinking of buying a phone from the States, 'cause it's way cheaper, but the postage adds up a lot of extra cost...

mariusfilip

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
i've had the Galaxy S5, Xperia Z3, LG G3 and now i own an M8 and a Moto G 2014, my experience was that the GS5 was good but too laggy, Xperia Z3 has the same height as the M8 but it's square form didn't fit wright in my pocket, the LG G3 had low brightness, i've found that the M8 is narrower and easier to hold(although it's a little slippery), good battery( Xperia Z3 best battery then Galaxy S5 the same as M8, then G3), in my opinion the moto g, even with 16/2 GB RAM can't compare with the HTC M8, only the battery may be a little better and that is waterproof, the M8 is the fastest android phone i've ever owned, i've had also an M9 for a week and a half, and the responsivness was on par with the M8, even with slight advantages the M9 didn't worth double the price, returned the M9 and got a Galaxy S6 but the battery was very bad...for me, the M8 is the best android device for value and money, and the camera is ok, as long as you don't want to make professional photos.
there is a secret code that you could enter in the dialer to test the device *#*#3424 #*#*

another option could be the Idol 3 5.5 or the asus, if you want a new phone, i'd recommend the Idol 3, or the moto g 2015 with 16/2gb ram, cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy