According to gsmarena, ( gsmarena.com/lg_l40_d160-6286.php )
    the LG40 has 'A-GPS only'. Does this mean that it does not have standalone GPS? I.e if I'm not in range of a mobile signal or wifi, will the GPS still work? (I appreciate that without a data connection GPS lock will be slower and I will need offline maps).
    08-22-2015 12:21 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! I think you're correct. See this article about A-GPS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS. Here's an excerpt:

To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an internet network and/or connection to an ISP (or CNP, in the case of CP/mobile-phone device linked to a Cellular Network Provider data service). A mobile (CellPhone/SmartPhone) device featured with "A-GPS" (no additional "S-GPS"/Standalone-GPS feature to be selected as alternative, or there is no "Hybrid GPS" as a complete A-GPS/S-GPS hybrid features in one device) can work only when there is an internet link/connection to an ISP/CNP - it is useless in areas with no coverage of internet link (or no BTS towers nearby, in the case on CNP service coverage area) to connect to those A-GPS servers (that are usually provided by CNPs). On the other hand, an "S-GPS" (including "Dedicated GPS") device/feature requires no connection to internet/network to obtain GPS data since it connects directly to GPS satellites overhead.
    08-22-2015 10:40 PM