This is a 2 part question: I've been trying to find out if devs who make communication apps can actually read your text messages/emails, etc or are they encrypted so no one but the recipient can read them?

If app developers can read all the communication done inside their apps, will Android's full disk encryption prevent this?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can weigh in.
    08-25-2015 01:54 PM
    This is a 2 part question: I've been trying to find out if devs who make communication apps can actually read your text messages/emails, etc or are they encrypted so no one but the recipient can read them?
    They're not encrypted by default. You could use an external app like PGP to encrypt any text.

Part 2 of the same question - do developers have copies of your texts sent to them? None has been found to do it yet - and it would be all over the internet 5 minutes after it was found that an app did.

If app developers can read all the communication done inside their apps, will Android's full disk encryption prevent this?
    No, because the data is decrypted as it's read from storage, and the app uses the decrypted data.

If you really want privacy, read up on PGP. (There are other alternatives these days, and there's really no good public key "place", but it's still the one I use, and no one's ever said anything that would lead me to believe that they'd read anything I sent encrypted. The recipient's mouth is a much greater security risk.)
    08-25-2015 06:06 PM