How do I use the SD Card on my Tab 4 with Lollipop?

billbell52

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I posted this wrong last time. Let me try again.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1 with Lollipop 5.0.2. It just recently updated from KitKat. I installed a Samsung 64GB SD Card in it. It seems to work for the camera and I have about 4.7GB used with Here Maps and a map of the US. I don't want to root it.

I have about 18GB of content I want to put on it. It consists of about 15GB of training videos and about 3GB of documents, mostly PDFs but some docs and a few epubs. About 2000 docs overall.

I wasn't able to get anything on the tablet with KitKat but I thought with Lillipop there should be a way. I have done everything I know of but if I get any content on without it disappearing after I restart it. How can you do it? I don't want to root it. There has to be an easy way.

This is driving me nuts. I honestly thought Android was the way to go. But right now I am sort of regretting not getting the Surface 3 even though it was 2X the cost.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How are you trying to copy the data to the card? Try connecting to a PC via USB, then use Windows Explorer to drag and drop the files from the internal storage to the SD card. Make sure you use the Copy function, not Move, until you're sure the files transferred successfully--then you can delete the originals.

Alternatively, unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your computer. Connect the tablet to the computer via USB, and use Windows Explorer to copy the files from the internal storage to the SD card in the computer's SD slot.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An app that creates a folder on the SD card can write to it and delete things from it. No other unrooted app can. So if you write a text note with one app and save it on the card, you can't edit it with a different app. (IOW, the card is now part of the filesystem, it's not an "external storage device". I disagree with Google's decision to do that.)

billbell52

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
I had already tried to sideload the content by hooking up the tablet to the PC. However after a reboot the content would disappear. I thought this was the behavior of Android. It was a brand new card and the tablet performed the format and setup. I took your suggestion and took the card out and put it in the PC and the PC said it was write protected. The adapter was set in unlock position. I forced the PC to format it using Device Manager and then copied the content on using the PC. I put it the tablet and Android set the card up and then rebooted and the content was still there. It appears Android did not properly format and setup the card.

Thanks for the suggestion.