I inadvertently deleted a photo album on by Galaxy S4. I wanted to delete just one photo but the whole album of over 1000 photos got deleted. I did not have these synced with Google and my last manual backup was up to last June. I've tried "Wondershare Dr Fone for Android"but it fails during the scan to find the photos saying I must "root" my device. My attempt to do that also failed and I am not sure if I did that correctly. I expect this is a very common problem since it was so easy to make the mistake. There a second chance to answer "are you sure" and hitting the "cancel" didn't work. Not good. Ideas or advice since I'd really like to get the photos back. Rich
    08-26-2015 08:35 PM
    To recover deleted files in any standard way requires root access. (Only root can access the directory of the storage device, and that's where the data you need is.) If the pictures were n the SD card, use PhotoRec (free, open source and it'll recover all files, deleted or not). Instructions are at PhotoRec Step By Step.

If the photos were on internal storage, you can try Recover Deleted Photos, Lost Videos from Android Phone/Tablet. If that doesn't work, you can try Recovering files via adb (Post #22).

In the future, make sure that any file you don't want to lose is backed up at least to your computer AND to at least one cloud account. (With so many free cloud accounts, there's no reason to not have a few backups.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-26-2015 10:53 PM