I am used to cameras (including my Galaxy S4) where you can hold the shutter release while pointing in one spot in order to "set" the auto exposure, then move the camera to the image you want, and have the picture taken when you release the "button." This allows achieving a correct exposure in certain lighting conditions. On my Note 4, holding the release just puts it into Burst Mode and I get many images I don't want!
    08-30-2015 04:24 PM
    The Note 4's exposure lock is sort of hidden and seems to not be widely known. Press and hold your finger on the area of the screen you want to expose on. You'll see your focus ring turn blue and the camera will lock the exposure and focus for that area. Basically, it's "spot" mode with focus, without having to change the default exposure setting. You will have about 3 - 5 seconds to shoot before the blue ring will disappear and exposure will return to whatever your default is set to.

For tough lighting situations, I instinctively switch to spot mode, but this feature is actually helpful sometimes.
    08-30-2015 08:09 PM
    I had tried this procedure, with no luck. When I got the circle, along with a caption of "Focus/Exposure," I thought I was there. But when I move the camera to the image I want, it still adjusts exposure (and focus), defeating the purpose, despite the fact that the circle still shows. Is there some underlying setting that keeps this from working?
    09-01-2015 10:28 AM
    Basically, it's "spot" mode with focus
    This is why I wrote this. Samsung's implementation is pretty weak. Unlike "normal" cameras, where you can actually lock the exposure, re-frame, and shoot, Samsungs AE/AF lock recalculates the scene. Pretty poor!

I know this doesn't work for you, but it's about all the phone camera can do... as far as I know. It's basically only good for back-lit subjects.
    09-01-2015 07:15 PM
    I just got a Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. It behaves just like the Note 4, but IT WORKS, i.e. when the circle appears, it holds the exposure when the camera is repointed. This must be a glitch (or a hidden setting) on the Note 4. For both the devices to show the same indications, but only one of them does the deed properly, there must be a solution. Samsung, can you hear me?
    09-09-2015 06:23 PM
    I just got a Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. It behaves just like the Note 4, but IT WORKS, i.e. when the circle appears, it holds the exposure when the camera is repointed. This must be a glitch (or a hidden setting) on the Note 4. For both the devices to show the same indications, but only one of them does the deed properly, there must be a solution. Samsung, can you hear me?
    As you can see in my signature, I'm still on Kitkat. I know they "improved" some camera functions in the LP update, and it's possible that my phone works the way it does simply because its on KK. Are both your phone and tablet on LP? Are the versions the same?
    09-10-2015 02:21 AM