I have had a number of devices over the last few years and after some time, they each stop charging. I have used generic wires but sometimes I only used the included one with the matching device.

My devices included Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, Nexus 7 2013, Samsung Galaxy s3, and at least 3 wireless chargers (3 different companies).

1) Why does this keep happening?

2) Is there any way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks.
    08-31-2015 10:26 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! How careful are you with your devices when they're plugged in? MicroUSB ports are relatively fragile when the plug is in, so if your devices are prone to falling from a desk or couch while plugged in, the pins in the port can easily get bent with the plug. Also, poor quality chargers might increase the risk of damage from things like short circuits.
    09-01-2015 02:08 AM
    Thanks so much for answering!

Well I've definitely been more careful with my newest things. I use to watch and read while my devices were charging. I thought that was the problem so I stopped but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

Is there a way to straighten the pins?

What would be considered a poor quality charger?
    09-03-2015 10:24 PM
    The pins are tiny little wires that are soldered to the motherboard or a daughterboard (depending on the phone). There's almost no solder on them, so there's no physical strength. Any torsion (bending) can pop a pin loose from the board.

We used to need 62 different charging plugs to be able to work on all cellphones. I'm really glad the industry settled on a single connector for all phones. I just wish they'd spent 2 cents more per connector and used one that can take the stress. Even a microDIN connector would have been MUCH stronger, and not much more expensive.
    09-04-2015 12:59 AM
    What would be considered a poor quality charger?
    Any no-name charger runs the risk of being poor quality. Stick with the original phone's manufacturer, or well-known brands like Belkin.
    09-04-2015 01:41 AM