Is anyone else's phone sutting down and rebooting due to Android OS bug?

A

AC Question

I'm not alone, lot's of people are noticing Android's latest OS 5.1.1 shut down their phones! I have a Nexus 6 and it does it even when only the basic 4 stock Android apps are running. Notice Battery monitor goes loopy when it does this, repeated reboot is very annoying, they need to fix it soon. Two people with Samsung S4's have told me their phones are doing the same thing, unexpected shutdown and reboot! Nice BUG!

How do I know it's a BUG ; I write firmware and design hardware.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm not alone, lot's of people are noticing Android's latest OS 5.1.1 shut down their phones! I have a Nexus 6 and it does it even when only the basic 4 stock Android apps are running. Notice Battery monitor goes loopy when it does this, repeated reboot is very annoying, they need to fix it soon. Two people with Samsung S4's have told me their phones are doing the same thing, unexpected shutdown and reboot! Nice BUG!

How do I know it's a BUG ; I write firmware and design hardware.

Weird.. I've had two phones running 5.1.1 and not had this issue on either phone..

dibel

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I maybe able to help to some extent, I have some screen shots of the battery monitor when the phone has been rebooting, and also a screenshot of the apps running at the time. I have removed a lot of applications, and have only a few left, they have been shut down, or forced to shut if open, leaving only the basics running.

I don't know who I can help in resolving this, on a google forum, I kept being told to start again by re flashing the phone OS form memory, this is tedious and I can't see it fixing anything. I don't think the OS is to blame, more likely Google Play Services or something similar that always runs.

Most odd that in the last couple of days two people I know with V5.1.1 have also had same issues start on Samsung S4's.

Happy to help if I can

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you upgraded to 5.1.1 or reflashed the stock image?

The kernel panics popped up from time to time early on with 5.0.... There were most certainly some kernel issues with the Nexus 6 back then (mine had occasional reboots as well). 5.1 came with a total overhaul of the kernel, and that resolved nearly all of the widely reported reboot issues and random reboots are now very rare in the latest 5.1.1 builds.