This started to happen today. Up until today, I was able to connect to my home wifi router when I came home and there was no problem.

The only thing different I did today was to reinstall Waze the umpteenth time. And on my way home, there are too many hotspots that I connected once or twice before, so I turned my wifi on and off several times.

When I left my car, while on the driveway, it usually connects to my home network. It didn't do today. Reboot didn't help (long press on power button) Turned it off, then turned it back on. It connected but after about 15 or so seconds it lost connectivity. I did this kaboki dance about 5 times before coming here readin about the booting to recovery menu and clearing the cache partition. I did that one too but nothing has changed. As soon as it boots, it connects and then drops the wifi connection after few seconds.

Very annoying. Every other device at home are happily chugging along. So, it is not the router, although I reboot it few times as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated
    09-04-2015 01:21 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Wi-fi, long-press your home network, and select Modify Network. Tap the Advanced checkbox, and then make sure it's set to DHCP, not Static IP.
    09-04-2015 01:46 AM
    Yes, it still is set to DHCP as it has always been.
    09-04-2015 08:17 AM
    Okay, there is something more strange going on with my phone. This morning, after forgetting it on the charger for the past 2 days, I picked up my bluetooth headset. It immediately connected to the phone. As soon as it got connected, my wifi connection got established, alas for 15-to-30 seconds. I listened to my podcasts while I was on my 1+ hour commute with my BT headset. No problems on that end but still no wifi.

Now I'm at my office, where I have a preset wifi signal. It can see it but it can not connect to it like it used to up until yesterday. When I turn off wifi and turn it back on, it shows me all the stored wifi connections for a few seconds, then it clears the screen and shows me on the newly setup signals or signals available around. And the signals which I know always available, like my corporate wireless that I can not connect to with my personal device, is coming and going. Would this be a sign of bad wifi hardware ?`
    09-04-2015 10:58 AM
    An easy way to test if it's due to some 3rd party app causing problems vs the firmware or hardware is to boot into Safe Mode: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9050
    09-04-2015 11:37 AM
    Okay, boot into safe mode but result was pretty much the same. Now, my BT headset, when I turn if off and ofn says it is connected but the BT connection doesn't light up on my status bar and anything I attempt to play, goes to the loudspeaker. My workplace guest wifi is an open network, no WPA or WEP protections, but now my phone thinks it is WPA/WPA2 protected and asks me for password.

I am starting to believe that my wireless network radio, bit the dust. Is there a diagnostic test app (free) available anywhere ?
    09-04-2015 12:58 PM
    You could try dialing *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer app to access the service menu. There is a category for Wifi Information, but I'm not sure how helpful it may be.
    09-04-2015 01:07 PM
    dialing *#*#4636#*#* doesn't take me to anywhere. After the last *, it blanks the dialler display. And that's it
    09-04-2015 01:42 PM
    Hmm. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
    09-04-2015 03:28 PM
    I performed a factory data reset. Now I can connect to my guest wifi at work but this time I lost my BT connectivity, pretty much the same way I did my wifi last night. I can pair it with the phone but after a while it is idle, my phone loses connection. Powering down the BT headfset and powering it back up, the voice prompt says "headset is connected" but the phone doesn't register this event and keeps using the speaker for further sound output ? There is something really fishy going on here
    09-04-2015 04:44 PM
    Oh by the way, I remembered something few minutes ago. Last night, few minutes after I installed Waze, I got a notification indicating my google play services has stopped, with no option to restart or anything. I gave it to Waze being memory hungry and not releasing enough memory for it and didn't think much about it. Would there be something related to this ? Although I reboot the phone numerous times which is more than enough to start any services that might have gone dead at one time or another.
    09-04-2015 04:48 PM
    I don't think that should matter, if you did a factory reset and also tried Safe Mode?
    09-04-2015 05:53 PM
    Yes, I tried safe mode to no result first. Then performed a factory reset
    09-04-2015 07:33 PM
    Maybe something shook loose inside the phone. Sounds weird but it could be a hardware issue.
    09-04-2015 09:36 PM
    As an electrical engineer, it was the first thing that came to mind, "something is loose" as I worked on an electronics assembly line for military grade electronics, fresh out of college, and for along time. I shook the device every which way you can think of, but there is no rattle sound coming. I even used a stethoscope directly coupled to the back of the phone but all I hear is the hissing sound the micro movements making between stethoscope head and the phone's back cover.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    09-10-2015 11:52 AM