Why can't I connect to irc.freenode.net through wifi?

A

AC Question

I'm using AndroIRC but I have tried with different apps and no luck, both on my phone and tablet. I get the error:

Unable to resolve irc.freenode.net:6667

I have tried changing the address to chat.freenode.net and the port to 6665 or 6697, none worked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Strange, since the .net DNS server does resolve it. I just installed AndroIRC on my Note 3 (I haven't been active on IRC in many years, even though I still have mIRC installed on my PC), and it connected to freenode like lightning - really fast.

Try it on your PC with an IRC program (if you have none, try mIRC: Download mIRC ) and see if you can connect to freenode. If that doesn't resolve, call your internet provider's tech support number. (I suspect that when the phone isn't connecting, the PC won't be either.)

If the port number needed to be changed, you wouldn't get an "unable to resolve" error - all that's "resolved" is irc.freenode.net. The port number is used after name resolution and connection to the server. (And, since 1995, when I first got on IRC, I don't know of any public server that hasn't had port 6667 open.)

If you have further problems, create a free account here, and add a Quick Reply, so we can keep the conversation "in channel", so to speak.