I accidentally clicked "OK" on a virus warning?

A

AC Question

I was on the Internet app (galaxy note 2) and this message randomly popped up first saying that my android had been infected with a virus and that I "needed to update my Android launcher within 1 day or [my] phone would be locked." Stupidly, I clicked OK. Another window popped up:

***Warning***

Your Samsung has been infected with a dangerous trojan virus.

And below that it said "OK." It didn't have anything else or any instructions. I clicked okay, and within two seconds the same message came up again. I pressed OK again. I did that a few more times until I exited the Internet app. I ran AVG, nothing came up. I haven't updated the launcher. What should I do?

miner_films

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
You do know that those things are ads, scams and probably filled with viruses that when clicking on them you download them or you just gave a hacker a way into your device. But that happens in both situations.

I highly recommend that you ignore those pop-up ads, if you can't do that then download AdBlocker

Posted via the Android Central App

Brando224

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah... this is likely a fake message. I would be worried about pressing OK. I would suggest to download an anti Virus software from the Google play store and scan to see if you have any viruses. There are lots of free ones in the play store.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Almost all of those kinds of popups are designed to scare you into installing a "security" app that is probably malware itself. If the popup only occurs when you're using the browser, then it's associated with the website you're visiting--make sure you avoid that website in the future.

AndroidSans

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
The same thing happened to me while I was with my mom waiting after getting our tires rotated. I was on their Wi-Fi and visiting a YouTube to MP4 site. It opened up a seemingly legit Coogle contest. After I closed out of the contest my phone started vibrating like crazy. It popped up with the same message over a black background. Panicked, as I had only had my phone for 6 and a half months, I clicked out off of the site. It seemed to fix everything as my phone is still working fine.

AndroidSans

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. I was at an oil change place on their WiFi. I went onto a YouTube to MP4 website when my phone began vibrating rapidly and gave me the same message. I clicked off the website and haven't been back since. My phone still works.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: I accidentally clicked "OK" on a virus warning?

Some people will do anything to get money. I remember the teenage boy who was driven to suicide because of online blackmail attempts, a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

mandeep786

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
hi,

i just installed adblocker, the same was with my phone, now its working gud, bu i am afrading, can it blocked next day....

plz suggest, if you have some knowledge abt same.

mandeep
punjab, india

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084