How is a device tied to Android Device Manager?

sg777

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting a warranty replacement for my Galaxy S6 through T-mobile. I want to wipe data from the old phone before sending it back, but it no longer powers on (and no light when charging; seems to be completely dead). I guess I'll tell Android Device Manager to wipe the device and hope that if someone gets it to power on, the wipe will then happen. (Or, any other suggestions (that don't involve taking the phone apart and potentially voiding the warranty)?)

I changed my Google password (so my old phone will no longer be able to login to Google); will Android Device Manager still be able to wipe the old phone?

If I take out the SIM card, and someone puts a new SIM card in, will Android Device Manager still be able to wipe the old phone? And if I put the old SIM card in a new phone (which will be the same model number, and I'll be logged into my Google account), will Android Device Manager accidentally wipe the new phone instead of old phone?

If I do accidentally wipe the new phone, is there any drawback to that, or should it end up in the same state that it was in already (when I receive it as a replacement)?
Is it recommended to wipe the new phone in case it's refurbished and the previous user put malware on it (or otherwise messed it up)?

sg777

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Answering some of my own questions, after doing experiments with a new phone:
Android Device Manager can wipe a phone even if it no longer has the same SIM card (I did it with no SIM card installed, on wi-fi), and even if I changed my Google password so the phone can no longer log in as me.
And, doing the remote wipe on a new phone seems pretty harmless; seems to put the phone basically in the state it came in new, except I think it enables Device Protection, that won't let someone use the phone with a different Google account, only allowing my account.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01